[rohc] RE: Questions on Context Replication

"Cho Chia Yuan" <eng01098@nus.edu.sg> Tue, 02 December 2003 18:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:59:24 +0800
From: Cho Chia Yuan <eng01098@nus.edu.sg>
To: Ghyslain Pelletier <Ghyslain.Pelletier@ericsson.com>
Cc: rohc@ietf.org, winston@i2r.a-star.edu.sg, sukanta@i2r.a-star.edu.sg
Subject: [rohc] RE: Questions on Context Replication
Sender: rohc-admin@ietf.org

Hi Ghyslain,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that the reverse feedback channel must be present for context replication, or else contexts at the compressor cannot be verified to become potential base contexts.

However, can you elaborate more on the other issue - why is it that STATIC-NACK SHOULD be sent when the decompressor fails to validate the context after IR-CR packet decompression? (My question is, why SHOULD instead of MUST?)

As mentioned in my earlier mail, if sending back STATIC-NACKs are optional instead of compulsory, then IR-CR packets uniquely face a danger not encountered by IR packets. The following is my argument for it, rephrased:

Let's say for a particular new flow, the compressor chooses from a pool of suitable base contexts for context replication, but all their equivalents at the decompressor have been overwritten/discarded, without the compressor's knowledge. Naturally, at the decompressor, verification after IR-CR decompression fails. Since sending back STATIC-NACK is optional, it is not sent. The compressor, kept in the dark, continues in optimistic mode, and periodically transits downwards to IR state, depending on it to refresh the context at the decompressor. However, in IR state, since seemingly 'valid' base contexts are present, the compressor proceeds to send IR-CR packets instead... ... At the decompressor, the entire flow has been gibberish, and no data gets sent.

My point is that when verification from IR-CR fails, a STATIC-NACK MUST (instead of SHOULD) be sent to notify the compressor that the base context it used is invalid, otherwise the compressor will continue using it unknowingly. A side point is that use of IR-CR packets to refresh contexts in optimistic mode cannot be guaranteed to be a success(unlike IR packets), because the equivalent of the compressor's base context may no longer be kept by the decompressor. However, IR-CR packets may still be used for context refreshing in optimistic mode, as long as STATIC-NACKs are compulsory instead of optional, which is what my first point is about.

Hope my question is clearer now. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Chia Yuan Cho
National University of Singapore
/Institute for Infocomm Research