Re: [rohc] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rohc-context-replication-01.txt

Ghyslain Pelletier <Ghyslain.Pelletier@ericsson.com> Thu, 30 October 2003 10:47 UTC

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:49:13 +0100
From: Ghyslain Pelletier <Ghyslain.Pelletier@ericsson.com>
To: rohc@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rohc] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rohc-context-replication-01.txt
Sender: rohc-admin@ietf.org

ROHCers,

An updated version of the draft describing context replication for ROHC
profiles, <draft-ietf-rohc-context-replication-01.txt>, has been
submitted. There has been lots of changes based on previous discussions.
In particular, the following has been updated:

- New CR state added
- IR-REPLICATE has been renamed to IR-CR (after the new state)
- The coverage of the 8-bit CRC in IR-CR now always cover the entire
  IR-CR packet, except the payload
- Operational assumptions regarding the modes of operation with context
  replication have been clarified.
- A section on reconstruction and verification has been added
- A discussion on requirements to support inter-profile replication
  has been added. Inter-profile replication is still however an open
  issue (please comment).
- Appendix suggesting replication chains has been removed.

Please comment on these changes and the updated version in general.

Regards,

/Ghyslain

Ghyslain Pelletier, Dipl. Ing.
Wireless IP Optimizations
AWARE - Advanced Wireless Algorithm Research
Ericsson Research, Corporate Unit

Ericsson AB, Laboratoriegränd 11
Box 920, S-97128 Luleå, SWEDEN
Phone : +46 (0) 920 20 24 32
Mobile: +46 (0) 70 609 27 73
Ghyslain.Pelletier@epl.ericsson.se
http://www.ericsson.com

Internet-Drafts@ietf.org wrote:

> This draft is a work item of the Robust Header Compression Working Group of the IETF.
>
>         Title           : RObust Header Compression (ROHC):Context Replication for ROHC Profiles
>         Author(s)       : G. Pelletier
>         Filename        : draft-ietf-rohc-context-replication-01.txt
>         Pages           : 17
>         Date            : 2003-10-28
>
> This document defines context replication, a complement to the
> context initialization procedure found in ROHC (Robust Header
> Compression) [RFC-3095]. Profiles defining support for context
> replication may use the mechanism described herein to establish a new
> context based on another already existing context.
> Context replication is introduced to reduce the overhead of the
> context establishment procedure, and may be especially useful for the
> compression of multiple short-lived flows that may be occurring
> simultaneously or near-simultaneously, such as for example short-
> lived TCP flows.
>
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rohc-context-replication-01.txt
>
> To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
> ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.
>
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
> "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
> type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>         "get draft-ietf-rohc-context-replication-01.txt".
>
> A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>
> Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
> Send a message to:
>         mailserv@ietf.org.
> In the body type:
>         "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rohc-context-replication-01.txt".
>
> NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>         MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>         feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>         command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>         a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>         exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>         "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>         up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>         how to manipulate these messages.

> Internet-Draft.

Ghyslain Pelletier, Dipl. Ing.
Wireless IP Optimizations
AWARE - Advanced Wireless Algorithm Research
Ericsson Research, Corporate Unit

Ericsson AB, Laboratoriegränd 11
Box 920, S-97128 Luleå, SWEDEN
Phone : +46 (0) 920 20 24 32
Mobile: +46 (0) 706 09 27 73
Ghyslain.Pelletier@ericsson.com
http://www.ericsson.com

I have a new mail address: Ghyslain.Pelletier@ericsson.com
My old e-mail address will function until 2004-06-01.
Please change my address in your personal address book.