RE: [rohc] Short summary of the new ROHCv2profiles:draft-pelletier-rohc-rohcv2-profiles-00.txt

"Kapoor, Rohit" <rkapoor@qualcomm.com> Sat, 08 July 2006 00:19 UTC

Subject: RE: [rohc] Short summary of the new ROHCv2profiles:draft-pelletier-rohc-rohcv2-profiles-00.txt
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:18:32 -0700
From: "Kapoor, Rohit" <rkapoor@qualcomm.com>
To: "Kristofer Sandlund (LU/EAB)" <kristofer.sandlund@ericsson.com>, "Ghyslain Pelletier (LU/EAB)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com>, rohc@ietf.org

Kristofer,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Based on your reply, it seems to me that
the best course of action for 3GPP2 companies is to make a completely
separate draft which handles the reordering issues. Some 3GPP2 companies
are now working on such a draft.

Also, I have a couple of other comments on the v2 draft:

--- I agree with Aniruddha's comments on support of timer-based
compression. Since timer-based is optional anyway, I think it does not
hurt to have it included in the v2 profiles. This way, systems that can
gain from the use of timer-based are free to do so.

--- The v2 profiles have 2 bits for representing the reordering choice,
i.e., the p value can be 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 of the interval. I think it may
help to have a little more granularity in representing the reordering
choice. It will help to really optimize the use of RoHC over air
interfaces whose behavior in terms of reordering and packet drops is
well understood. Also, since headers carrying the "reordering choice"
bits will likely not be sent too frequently, adding a bit or two for
"reordering choice" should not add much to average compressed header
size.

Look forward to comments.

Thanks,
Rohit