RE: [rohc] Problem about list compression

"Lars-Erik Jonsson \(LU/EAB\)" <lars-erik.jonsson@ericsson.com> Wed, 05 April 2006 14:10 UTC

Subject: RE: [rohc] Problem about list compression
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:10:47 +0200
From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <lars-erik.jonsson@ericsson.com>
To: tangzhenghua <tangzhenghua@huawei.com>, rohc@ietf.org

Hi Zhenghua,

I get a little confused by your question since it seems to be
addressing how to do things according to RFC 3095, but at the
same time you refer to draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-improvements-01.

Anyway, I will try to clarify both the actual functionality of
RFC 3095 and the envisioned functionality for "ROHC v2" or "ROHC
bis", whatever we prefer to call the envisioned outcome which
draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-improvements-01 aims at.

First, what do draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-improvements-01 aim at?

  It is correct that "ROHC v2" is planned to only use the
  generic scheme. Further, v2 is supposed to use a unified
  mode approach as ROHC TCP, which means a U/O-like scheme.
  However, "ROHC v2" will clearly be a second generation ROHC
  variant defining new profile, while current profiles will
  still stay as defined by RFC 3095.

So, what about your question regarding list compression in
RFC 3095?

  You have correctly noticed that gen_id is only needed in
  U/O-mode. R mode has a sliding window of references, and
  the compressor must keep in its sliding window all possible
  references the decompressor can potentially use for
  decompression. When compressing, the compressed header
  must be made decompressible with any of these references.
  The decompressor on the other hand keeps only one single
  reference, which is acked. There are no sliding windows
  at the decompressor. This is how it works for several
  fields in R-mode, and thus also for list compression.

Hope this helps!
/L-E