RE: [AVT] RE: [rohc] Fwd: Working group last call: draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt

"Ash, Gerald R \(Jerry\), ALABS" <gash@att.com> Fri, 19 May 2006 22:31 UTC

Subject: RE: [AVT] RE: [rohc] Fwd: Working group last call: draft-ietf-avt-hc-over-mpls-protocol-05.txt
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 17:31:52 -0500
From: "Ash, Gerald R (Jerry), ALABS" <gash@att.com>
To: "Kristofer Sandlund (LU/EAB)" <kristofer.sandlund@ericsson.com>, IETF AVT WG <avt@ietf.org>
Cc: "Ash, Gerald R (Jerry), ALABS" <gash@att.com>, rohc@ietf.org, "Magnus Westerlund (KI/EAB)" <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>

Hi Kristofer,

Many thanks for your thorough review.  Please see comments below.

Thanks,
Regards,
Jerry

You raise a valid issue here.  The uncompressed packets associated with
HC flows (e.g., uncompressed IPHC-TCP packets) can be sent through the
same MPLS tunnel along with all other non-HC (non-PW) IP packets.  MPLS
tunnels can transport many types of packets simultaneously, including
non-PW IP packets, layer 3 VPN packets, and PW (e.g., HC flow) packets.
We don't see a need to require a separation of uncompressed IP packets
associated with HC flows and other uncompressed IP packets.

In the draft we've already assumed that there would be a path for
uncompressed traffic, and that it would be a compressor decision as to
what would or would not go in the HC-PW.  We'll make it more explicit
that for some types of compression (e.g., IPHC-TCP) a non-compressed
path is required.

> Editorial comments:
> ---
> - There seems to be a few formatting problems (such as the
> footer on page 6), but I guess the RFC editor will fix those....
>
> - There are a lot of abbreviations used in the Abstract, and
> according to http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-guidelines.html,
> those should be spelled out.
>
> - In section 2 (Contributors), the following is stated:
>       Besides the editors, the following people contributed to the
>       document:
>   And then the editors are listed. It seems a bit redundant
> to list the same addresses both here and in "Authors'
> addresses" in the document.

Agree with all of the above and will fix.

> - Section 4:
>       In the example scenario, HC therefore takes place
> between R1 and R4,
>       and the MPLS LSP transports data/compressed-header/MPLS-labels
>       instead of data/RTP/UDP/IP/MPLS-labels, saving 36
> octets per packet
>       in the /RTP/UDP/IP/ header.
>
>  I don't think you should quantify to "36 bytes", since that
> is quite dependent on scheme used (and also you haven't
> specified if this is IPv4 or IPv6, which of course has an
> impact on that figure). Maybe write something like "often
> saving more than 90% of the RTP/UDP/IP overhead"

Good point, the suggested re-wording looks fine.

> - section 4, page 8, the term "PVC" is not defined in terminology

OK, will define.

> - section 5, page 11
>       Multiple PWs SHOULD be established in case different
> QoS requirements
>       are needed for different compressed streams.  The QoS
> received by the
>       flow would be determined by the EXP bit marking in the PW label.
>       Normally, all RTP packets would get the same EXP
> marking, equivalent
>       to EF treatment in DiffServ.  However, the protocol
> specified in this
>
>  I think both "EXP marking" and "EF treatment" either need a
> definition or a reference to another document, they seem to
> jump out of nowhere in this doc.

Agreed, will reference RFC 3246 (EF) and RFC 3270 (EXP marking) here.

> - section 5.1
>       Any acceptable method of MPLS label distribution MAY be used for
>       distributing the MPLS tunnel label.  To assign and
> distribute the PW
> What is an "acceptable method"? Define or re-phrase.

OK, will reference LDP [RFC 3036), MPLS-TE (RFC 3209), and configuration
as 'acceptable methods'.

> - section 5.1
>          a forward equivalence class (FEC) object, a label object, and
>   FEC is already defined in terminology, so no need to spell
> it out here.

OK.

> - Section 5.2
>   There are a lot of MUSTs/MAYs in this section and (at least
> from a quick reading) some of them seem to say the same
> thing, such as:
>       If HC scheme
>       parameters are signaled, the Interface Parameters
> Sub-TLV MUST be
>       used on any unidirectional legs of a PW that will carry
> HC traffic.
> and
>       The Interface Parameters Sub-TLV [IANA,
>       RFC4447] MUST be used to signal HC channel setup and specify HC
>       parameters.
>
> Do these two describe _different_ requirements? If not, maybe
> one of them could either be removed or it could be written to
> avoid 2119 language. I'm not keen on having the same
> requirement listed twice (_if_ that is the case here, there
> might be some subtle difference that I'm failing to see).
> There might be others like these in 5.2 that are overlapping,
> so maybe a thorough check by of 2119 language in this section
> could be useful.

OK, will check and use 2119 language only once.

> - Section 5.2.4
>       In RFC 2509 it was not possible to negotiate only TCP HC or only
>
>   Maybe you need to add an informative reference to 2509
> since you mention it?

OK.

> - Section 5.4
>   Be consistent and don't mix "misordering" and "reordering",
> just write "reordering".

OK.

> - Section 5.4
>       CRTP is viewed as
>       having risks for a number PW environments due to misordering and
>       loss, although commercial issues lead to its choice.
>  I don't understand this sentence, what do you mean by "lead
> to its choice"? Is the intension to say "the inclusion of
> CRTP into this specification was based on commercial reasons"?
>  And if you're going to write "commercial issues" (or
> reasons) then maybe you should describe those (but I prefer
> to re-phrase that to something else instead)

We can rephrase to say something like "Although CRTP is viewed as having
risks for a number of PW environments due to misordering and loss, it is
still the protocol of choice in many cases."

>  - The reference section might need to be verified a bit, for
> example [ROHC-REORDER] is now an RFC (RFC4224). There's also
> some control symbol (=20) in one of the references, so it
> might be good to review all the references again to make sure
> they are correct.

OK.

Thanks again,
Jerry