RE: [rohc] Liaison request from 3GPP2

"Lars-Erik Jonsson \(LU/EAB\)" <lars-erik.jonsson@ericsson.com> Wed, 31 May 2006 14:26 UTC

Subject: RE: [rohc] Liaison request from 3GPP2
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:27:31 +0200
From: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <lars-erik.jonsson@ericsson.com>
To: "Ghyslain Pelletier (LU/EAB)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, rohc@ietf.org
Cc: AC Mahendran <mahendra@qualcomm.com>

Thomas, Ghyslain, others,

(filling in some details in the excellent summary from Ghyslain)

> Thomas, RoHCers,
>
> The output that 3GPP2 expect from this WG in the liaison is actually
> three documents:
>
>   - draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-improvements (to be published
>     as Informational)
>   - draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-framework (to be published as PS)
>   - RoHCv2 profiles (to be published as PS, does not exist
      publicly yet)

> So, there is a whole draft missing here as you can see. I've
> already notified Rohit Kapoor (which I believe is involved in
> 3GPP2 std?) that I will submit a draft describing the updated
> RoHC profiles (RoHCv2 profiles) by the cut-off date for
> initial submissions. I have already notified the WG chair of
> the upcoming draft as well. Look for
> draft-pelletier-rohcv2-profiles-00.txt by mid-June.

That is excellent, I hope we can then get discussions going on
this draft, and the intent would then be to turn this document
into the envisioned WG draft.

Ghyslain, for alignment with the WG draft name, which will be:
   draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-profiles-00.txt,
please name the upcoming initial individual draft similarily:
   draft-pelletier-rohc-rfc3095bis-profiles-00.txt

>>  - draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-framework
>
> This draft specifies the RoHC framework. It does not include
> any update to profiles. In my opinion, it is already ready
> for a wglc, however there is no point in having a wglc until
> its companion draft describing the updated profiles (RoHCv2
> profiles) is also ready for wlgc. Currently as I wrote above,
> this draft only exists on my computer, i.e. it is yet to be
> available as a draft individual submission, but I'm a couple
> of week for making it available.
>
>>  - draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-improvements
>
> This draft is meant to be published as informational. It
> contains suggested improvement for the updated RoHC profiles
> (RoHCv2 profiles) as agreed on the mailing list. However, it
> is of not really of any help to 3GPP2 as it only describes
> what should be done for the RoHCv2 profiles. It is some kind
> of "requirements" document
>
>> Are they close to being finished? Are there known outstanding
>> issues that need to be addressed?
>
> I think there has been only limited discussions of the
> framework and the improvements draft on the mailing list,
> nothing at a physical meeting.

Well, the improvements draft has been discussed point-by-point
before it even became a separate draft (discussions were
carried out while it was part of draft-ietf-rohc-rtp-impl-guide),
establishing consensus for all items. However, I believe it is
reasonable to believe some people may have additional ideas to
bring for v2, and such ideas should then be brought to the mail
list. If not, the improvements  draft as it currently looks is
what consitutes the technical direction for the profiles draft.

> Should we push the chairman to request a meeting slot in
> Montreal? Any opinions?

A meeting slot will be requested!

/L-E