[rohc] RE: draft-ertekin-rqts-hcoipsec-01.txt

"Jasani Rohan" <jasani_rohan@bah.com> Fri, 22 July 2005 14:21 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:13:44 -0400
From: Jasani Rohan <jasani_rohan@bah.com>
To: Stephen Kent <kent@bbn.com>, lars-erik.jonsson@ericsson.com
Cc: SKoKeef@missi.ncsc.mil, rohc@ietf.org, jon.peterson@neustar.biz, mankin@psg.com, Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>, Christou Chris <christou_chris@bah.com>, Esposito Renee <esposito_renee@bah.com>, cabo@tzi.org, hartmans-ietf@mit.edu, jakohle@missi.ncsc.mil, respy@opnet.com
Subject: [rohc] RE: draft-ertekin-rqts-hcoipsec-01.txt
Sender: rohc-bounces@ietf.org

Stephen:
I have detailed below, how we envision inbound and outbound processing
to work.  These explanations should answer the questions posed in
previous emails.  Please provide us with feedback and comments in
regards to the explanations below. Thanks

SA ESTABLISHMENT:
Currently, we are writing a draft detailing how IKE will need to be
extended to support HC scheme and HC parameter negotiation.  In
addition, the draft will detail the appropriate HC "data items" that are
associated to an SA.  Specifically, the "HC Scheme" data item will
indicate whether HC will be applied SA and if applied, which HC scheme
will be used (i.e. NO COMPRESSION, ROHC, ECRTP, IPHC).  "HC Scheme" is
used during processing to determine whether a packet should be handed to
the HC process or not and if HC is applied, to which HC process (i.e.
ROHC, ECRTP, etc...) to hand the packet to.

GENERAL OPERATION
All traffic associated to an SA will either be compressed or not
compressed.  Based on which types of traffic would like to be compressed
(established through policies)* and the types of traffic  (i.e. IP/TCP,
IP/UDP, IP/UDP/RTP) that can be compressed by the HC schemes on the
IPsec devices, values for standard selectors ("Next Layer Protocol" &
"Port") will be chosen to filter out the traffic that needs compression
(additional selector values will be used in conjunction to define the
traffic that is afforded security by the SA).

*not all traffic benefits from HC and most HC schemes only support
compression of certain types of traffic (i.e. IP/UDP/RTP, etc...)

OUTBOUND PROCESSING:
Traffic will be mapped to an SA based on selector values (including
"Next Layer Protocol" & "Port").  The traffic is encrypted/authenticated
according to the SA.  Then...
        - If the "HC Scheme" data item (included with the SAD entry)
indicates a compression scheme, then the traffic is handed to the HC
process which will compress the traffic and then hand it back to IPsec
for further processing.
        - If the "HC Scheme" data item indicates NO Compression, then
the traffic continues through the normal IPsec processing.

INBOUND PROCESSING:
a) After an inbound packet passes through AH/ESP processing (Step 4 on
Page 60 of I-D 2401bis) the packet can take one of either two routes:
        -If the SA indicates HC was applied, then the packet is handed
to the HC process for decompression.  Once the packet is decompressed it
is passed to Step "b".
        -If the SA indicates HC was NOT applied, then proceed to Step
"b".
Note: Based on information retrieved from the SAD entry in Step 3a
(Page 59 of I-D 2401bis) it can be determined whether traffic traversing
the SA is compressed or not compressed, as this indication is associated
to an SA

b) Continue regular processing described in Step 4 on Page 60 of I-D
2401bis.  Specifically "Then match the packet against the inbound
selectors identified by the SAD..."

COMMENTS:
- Each SAD entry will need to have additional information related to HC,
where would we need to specify that information (i.e. HCoIPsec draft,
IPsec standard, etc...) ?
- As of right now, we are not planning on using the ROHC uncompressed
profile to carry uncompressed traffic on a ROHC-enabled SA, as this
profile adds 1 or 2 bytes of overhead to each uncompressed packet.  This
decision will prevent the need to multiplex compressed and uncompressed
traffic over a single SA and it allows all traffic traversing an SA to
be processed in the same manner.
- Only ECRTP requires an additional packet type field, which will be
added as an extension to the ECRTP header (same approach used in ECRTP
over MPLS I-D draft-ietf-avt-hc-mpls-reqs-03.txt).  ROHC has
self-describing headers, thus it does not require an additional header.
Therefore, additional protocol numbers should not be required.

Rohan Jasani
Booz | Allen | Hamilton
703.377.4641 (office)
832.452.3241 (mobile)