RE: [rohc] Short summary of the new ROHCv2profiles:draft-pelletie r-rohc-rohcv2-profiles-00.txt

"Trabelsi, Chokri (Chokri)" <ctrabelsi@lucent.com> Fri, 30 June 2006 14:33 UTC

From: "Trabelsi, Chokri (Chokri)" <ctrabelsi@lucent.com>
To: "Kristofer Sandlund (LU/EAB)" <kristofer.sandlund@ericsson.com>, "Kapoor, Rohit" <rkapoor@qualcomm.com>, "Ghyslain Pelletier (LU/EAB)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com>, rohc@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [rohc] Short summary of the new ROHCv2profiles:draft-pelletie r-rohc-rohcv2-profiles-00.txt
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:33:09 -0400

Hi,

After reading the draft, I have the same impression as Rohit. The new draft includes a quite a bit of changes, although most of these changes will make ROHC implementation more Robust and simplify the specification as pointed out by Kristofer, however these changes will affect significantly the current ROHC implementation based on RFC3095 and this could have several impact to different 3GPP2 companies. From that perspective I would like to join Rohit and point out my concern and ask if possible to address this issue and make the changes simpler for those who have already implemented ROHC based on RFC3095. For someone who invested a lot of development and testing resources to develop ROHC based on RFC3095, may not need to implement all these changes at least in initial phase and therefore we support the idea of having an additional profile (in addition to the proposed one in the current ROHCv2 draft) with a necessary changes just to support reordering (which is the main issue!
  for 3GPP2) among few other important things as addressed in RFC4224 but not as large as in the current ROHCv2 draft.

A side note: For the UO-1-TS replacement, pt_1_seq_ts, I am wondering why the timestamp has been changed to 4 bits. If Timer-based compression will be supported, 4-bits will not be enough! This needs to be looked at when the faith of  Timer-based compression will be decided.

Regards

Chokri Trabelsi