RE: [rohc] ROHC Charter Update Proposal

"Ghyslain Pelletier \(LU/EAB\)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com> Wed, 23 August 2006 11:22 UTC

Subject: RE: [rohc] ROHC Charter Update Proposal
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:21:55 +0200
From: "Ghyslain Pelletier (LU/EAB)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com>
To: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <lars-erik.jonsson@ericsson.com>, rohc@ietf.org
Cc: "Magnus Westerlund (KI/EAB)" <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>

Lars-Erik, Magnus,

I have reviewed the proposal for the updated charter.

I am concerned about the proposal to add the following milestone:

> Feb 2007   ROHC encapsulation profile(s) for IPHC/CRTP/eCRTP
>            submitted to IESG for publication as Proposed Standard.

I cannot see that we've had a WG consensus on doing this, either on the
mailing list or at the last meeting.

At the MTL meeting, this was one out of a number of proposal on how to
go forward with respect to HC over IPsec work and wrt supporting a
solution for eCRTP etc.

The absence of a wg consensus and the need for further discussions seems
to be confirmed by the minutes of meeting summarized and submitted by
Lars-Erik to the list:

> * HC over IPsec Security Associations (Emre Ertekin)

[...]

> There was clearly no conclusion (or consensus) on these
> issues, the discussions will have to continue on the list.
>
> Draft: draft-ietf-rohc-hcoipsec-02.txt

One thing I fail to understand too is that the discussions at the
meeting were clearly presenting a number of alternatives, whereas one of
those was the one above, while the charter was suggested prior to the
MTL meeting. Does this mean that this is something that is generally
desirable to do, other than for HC over IPsec? In any case, as explained
in an earlier mail to the RoHC list, I fail to motivate doing this and I
am right now not too enthusiasted by this proposal.

Therefore I would gladly welcome more discussions on this on the list,
before feeling comfortable about this one making it to the charter. My
proposal is that this item be removed from the charter update until we
know that this is something that we want to do.

/Ghyslain