RE: [rohc] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rohc-context-replication-04. txt

"Ghyslain Pelletier (LU/EAB)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com> Thu, 23 September 2004 10:25 UTC

From: "Ghyslain Pelletier (LU/EAB)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com>
To: "'zhigang.c.liu@nokia.com'" <zhigang.c.liu@nokia.com>
Subject: RE: [rohc] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rohc-context-replication-04. txt
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:22:55 +0200
Cc: rohc@ietf.org
Sender: rohc-bounces@ietf.org

Zhigang and others,

If we'd replace the current text in section 4.2 with the following, would it make more sense to you? Maybe it captures better what the current text is trying to express.

   3.2. Replication of Control Fields

     Control fields are fields are either transmitted from
     a ROHC compressor to a ROHC decompressor or inferred
     based on the behavior of other fields, but are not part
     of the uncompressed header itself.

     They can be used to control what set of packet formats
     is used. Control fields are profile-specific. Example
     of such fields include the NBO and RND flags [2] that
     indicate whether the IP-ID field is in Network Byte
     Order and the type of behavior of the field, respectively.
     Another example is the parameter indicating the mode of
     operation [2].

     The IR-CR differs from the IR packet [2] in that its
     purpose is to entirely specify what part of the base
     context is replicated, and to convey the complementary
     information needed to create a new context. Because of
     this, a profile supporting the use of the IR-CR packet
     SHOULD define for each control field if the value of the
     field is replicated from the base context to the new
     context, or if its value is reinitialized.

     In addition, a compressor MUST NOT initiate context
     replication while a control field that is not
     reinitialized by replication is being updated, such as
     for the case where the handshake for a mode transition [2]
     is taking place.

Comments?

Regards,

///Ghyslain