RE: [rohc] ROHC-TCP: Update and some topics to be discussed

Yousuf.Saifullah@nokia.com Wed, 04 June 2003 21:58 UTC

From: Yousuf.Saifullah@nokia.com
Subject: RE: [rohc] ROHC-TCP: Update and some topics to be discussed
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 16:56:03 -0500
To: Ghyslain.Pelletier@epl.ericsson.se, rohc@ietf.org
Sender: rohc-admin@ietf.org

Hi Gyslain,

The following are my comments on the context replication draft (draft-pelletier-rohc-context-replication-00.txt):

- Section 3.2.2: What is "OPTIONAL improved forward transition"? I was not able to find any description for this term.

- Section 3.2.2.1 - last two paras: NACK is not sent in response to IR-REPLICATE. Instead, it looks like that it is a general failure information procedure for informing decompression of a subsequent packet not IR-REPLICATE. I think these two paras are irrelevant to context replication. I'd suggest to either take out these paras or explicitly mention that this is a general failure procedure.

- Section 3.3.2 - Third para: Could you please clarify when the compressor will be sending IR-REPLICATE packets as subsequent packets after receiving ACK for successful decompression of the initial IR-REPLICATE. The decompressor after successfully validating IR-REPLICATE will send ACK, which moves the compressor from IR to CO state (taking ROHC-TCP state machine). I think in this state the compressor will be sending compressed packets not IR-REPLICATE.

- I think we can improve on failure mechanism mentioned in the above two sections. The draft mentions that if the decompression of IR-REPLICATE fails, the decompressor will send STATIC NACK and the compressor MUST refrain from IR-REPLICATE, in other words use IR packets. Moving to IR means sending more bytes compared to IR-REPLICATE, hence degrading compression efficiency. If the decompression has failed due to transmission error of IR-REPLICATE (case-1), then the decompressor is unnecessarily asking for IR. It is better to ask for the retransmission of IR-REPLICATE and gain more compression efficiency. Not to mention, retransmitting an already encoded packet would be faster for the compressor. It is also possible that the decompression has failed because of the corruption in the base context (case-2). In case-2 we definitely want to move to the IR packet, since there is no way to fix it without sending full header.
I'd propose that the decompressor should differentiate between the two cases. It can be done if we increase the coverage of 8-bit CRC (section 3.4.1.2)to cover static and dynamic chain also. The CRC of an IR or IR-DYN covers the whole IR packet, excluding payload (section 5.9.2 of RFC 3095). The proposed change in 8-bit CRC is more in line with the IR and IR-DYN CRC.
The logic would work something like this:
- if 7-bit CRC failed, send STATIC-NACK
- if 8-bit CRC fails, send another NACK (let's call it REP-NACK). We could differentiate a REP-NACK from a regular NACK by using feedback options in the FEEDBACK-2 format and make this option available to other profiles besides TCP. We could have used NACK such that a NACK in response to IR-REPLICATE would ask compressor to resend IR-REPLICATE. But it seems like that the draft has a different use of this NACK (section 3.3.2).

Section 3.4.1 - third para: The way I understood this para is that the 8-bit CRC could cover entire IR header but a profile may not do that and the reason is in section 5.2.6 of RFC 3095. I was unable to find the explanation in the reference, could you please explain this limitation.

Section 3.4.2 - IR-REPLICATE format figure: I think it would be more clear to show 7-bit CRC and Base CID in the figure. These fields are described but are not shown in the figure.

Appendix A: Is this the intention that the formats mentioned in this Appendix will become standardized format? If that is the case, then I would suggest to put these formats in the main body of the draft not in appendix.

A.1: Why didn't we define a flag for marking Traffic Class as replicable? Is this because adding a bit would mean adding a byte and that would exactly be the saving in the Traffic class case?
A.2: The two spare bits left in the first byte can be used for the replication flags for Type of Service and Identification fields. This will not cause any addition in the packet size. Could you please define the spare bits as the flags.

Regards,
Yousuf