RE: [rohc] Update of RTP P and X bits

"Ghyslain Pelletier \(LU/EAB\)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com> Thu, 01 June 2006 15:29 UTC

Subject: RE: [rohc] Update of RTP P and X bits
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 17:10:34 +0200
From: "Ghyslain Pelletier (LU/EAB)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com>
To: "Lajos Zaccomer (IJ/ETH)" <lajos.zaccomer@ericsson.com>, rohc@ietf.org

Hi Lajos,

Regarding the text in section 6.4 on the R-P bit, I think that in short
you mean that:

- handling of the R-P bit is focusing on the
  case where RTP padding is not used (R-P=0)
- padding is application dependent
- this bit could be handled as any other semi-static field

Regarding the text in section 6.5 on the X bit, I think that in short
you mean that:

- handling of the X bit is focusing on the
  case where RTP extensions are not used (X=0)
- RTP extensions are not expected to be used
- there is little gain for the IR packet in updating
  context(X)=0 when RX=0, as RX will likely be 1
- there is little gain for the IR-DYN packet in updating
  context(X)=0 when RX=0, because context(X) will already
  be established
- this bit could be handled as any other semi-static field
  (provided there's a default initial value for context(X))

In both cases, I agree that this would be possible. However, we cannot
make any changes to draft-ietf-rohc-rtp-impl-guide-19.txt with respect
to your comments, for the following reasons:

- making a change at this point would go against what
  has already been agreed for a long time, from interop
  events and discussions on the mailing list
- the current agreement works, and your proposals target
  only a possible very minor inefficiency in the protocol
  (i.e. the protocol is not broken)

I will, however, consider your proposals for the upcoming RoHCv2 update.

Thanks

/Ghyslain