[rohc] Re: ROHC parameter configurations at the radio access network.

Qinqing Zhang <qinqingzhang@gmail.com> Tue, 10 January 2006 16:26 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:26:04 -0500
From: Qinqing Zhang <qinqingzhang@gmail.com>
To: "Ghyslain Pelletier (LU/EAB)" <ghyslain.pelletier@ericsson.com>
Cc: rohc@ietf.org
Subject: [rohc] Re: ROHC parameter configurations at the radio access network.
Sender: rohc-bounces@ietf.org

Ghyslain:

Thank you for your thorough comments and suggestion.
I completely agree with your  arguments on why these two attributes
should not be included in the 3GPP2 RAN standards.

Another note is that for some voice flows over the RAN, silence
suppression may not be supported. If there is no silence suppression
(or 1/8 rate blanking), TS does not need to be compressed. It will be
deferred from the SN.  Timer based compression has no merits in this
scenario.

In the ROHC improvement draft,
draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-improvements-01.txt, section 6.1 on reverse
decompression, it is suggested to remove the reverse decompression
described in RFC3095, section 6.1, since it is "a very questionable
implementation".
I would assume that the DelayCompressionDepth has no merits as well
in terms of decompression improvement.

Thanks,
Qinqing