RE: [rohc] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-framework-02.txt

"Sarkar, Biplab" <bsarkar@starentnetworks.com> Tue, 17 October 2006 18:07 UTC

Subject: RE: [rohc] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-framework-02.txt
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:37:22 +0530
From: "Sarkar, Biplab" <bsarkar@starentnetworks.com>
To: "Lars-Erik Jonsson (LU/EAB)" <lars-erik.jonsson@ericsson.com>
Cc: rohc@ietf.org

L-E,

I have gone through the document
draft-ietf-rohc-rfc3095bis-framework-02.txt.
The document looks fine. I have a few questions which I am putting down
below.

[1] 5.1.2 - I see the mention of the per-channel parameters for link
layer negotiations.  The attribute "FEEDBACK_FOR" seems to be a new one
which is not there even in RFC3095 or in RFC3759. I believe it is an
implicit requirement which might have evolved from RFC3759, but this
requires more explanation.
- Can we get some more details about the range of the values that would
be negotiated here?
- BTW are we planning to define some guidelines as to how the under
layer is going to define each ROHC channel?
- Is a non negative integer enough to capture this feedback channel?
- In case multiple feedback channels shares one channel, how will the
compressor de-multiplex the feedback pkts?

[2] Do we need to capture the general behavior when CRC checks fails? I
was wondering if it was right to ignore a S-NACK/NACK packet even though
the CRC check fails? [RFC3095:5.7.6.4] Since the link was not good the
decompressor went out of sync and was sending a S-NACK/NACK, Now the
feedback pkt might get corrupted and the optional element CRC might
force us to discard this pkt. I think we should ignore a feedback ACK
and its subsequent context updating behavior if the CRC check fails. But
a NACK/SNACK should be always accepted.

[3] A general question. Why do we have both CRC-7 and CRC-8 algo? Why
not just one of them?

[4] Is there any strict need for all future variants of the rohc
profiles to be back ward compatible? Since we are negotiating the entire
16-bit integer I don't see any direct need for that.

Thanks
Biplab