Re: [Roll] Roll Digest, Vol 25, Issue 46 (follow up on point to point routing into a DAG where the destination is at lower rank)

"Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com> Mon, 01 March 2010 10:17 UTC

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 11:17:38 +0100
From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <pthubert@cisco.com>
To: Tim Winter <wintert@acm.org>, d.sturek@att.net
Cc: ROLL WG <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] Roll Digest, Vol 25, Issue 46 (follow up on point to point routing into a DAG where the destination is at lower rank)

Hi Tim and Don:

I'm so sorry I failed to answer earlier.

Don: Tim is correct throughout. If your use case permits to store DAO
states and the associated routes, you should never see a routing header
with RPL as it stands. We need to improve our language on source route.
In short, support would be mandatory but usage a case by case deployment
decision, with probably some heuristics in the implementations to decide
when to use  it, for which destinations, etc.

Tim: About you first point on RH in the infrastructure. You're correct
with the current model where the RPL routes are redistributed (hopefully
in an aggregated fashion) by the roots; but when we couple RPL with
mobility that might not be so anymore, in particular if mobile addresses
are injected in RPL, or if the RPL mesh is built off ULAs. That day, I
expect a routing header in the infra to get from afar to the root using
infrastructure routing and then from the root to device, using RPL
routing. You'll find information on how that could work in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-thubert-nemo-reverse-routing-header.

Cheers,

Pascal