Re: [Roll] Fwd: New Version Notification fordraft-dt-roll-p2p-rpl-00

Mukul Goyal <mukul@uwm.edu> Thu, 20 May 2010 00:56 UTC

Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 19:56:01 -0500
From: Mukul Goyal <mukul@uwm.edu>
To: JP Vasseur <jpv@cisco.com>
Cc: roll <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Roll] Fwd: New Version Notification fordraft-dt-roll-p2p-rpl-00

Hi JP

>6) We just need to have a section somewhere indicating that such reactive mechanism has a cost too and the resulting
path cost decrease is not known a priori and may end up being close to the DAG cost for that destination. I am not
questioning the usefulness of the mechanism, just make sure to indicate it.

>I can help provide some text, if that helps.

Sure, please send me the text you would like to see in the draft. Also, I wanted to point out that the purpose of the measurement messages is to help decide whether to initiate a reactive route discovery ot not. If the measurement of the cost of an existing (DAG-based) route indicates that this route is good enough, there wont be a need to do a reactive discovery. Further, the "good enough" criteria can be selected on the basis of information provided by measurement messages. If the measurement on a DAG-based route returns an end-to-end cost "x", the good enough criteria can be set to some fraction of x thereby ensuring that any discovered P2P routes have a certain minimum cost advantage over DAG-based route. Ofcourse, there may not exist any P2P routes with such advantage (and that's why we need to put in the text that you are suggesting).

Thanks
Mukul