Re: [Roll] I-D Action:draft-ietf-roll-rpl-14.txt

Dario Tedeschi <dat@exegin.com> Fri, 29 October 2010 22:44 UTC

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:46:01 -0700
From: Dario Tedeschi <dat@exegin.com>
To: Internet-Drafts@ietf.org
Cc: roll@ietf.org, i-d-announce@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Roll] I-D Action:draft-ietf-roll-rpl-14.txt

  Some questions and comments:

#1.
I'm confused by the following text in section 9.7:

    ...                                    ... Therefore, in non-storing
    mode, a node can send a single DAO, although it might choose to send
    more than one DAO message to each of multiple DAO parents.

What would be the purpose of sending DAOs to multiple parents in a
non-storing network? Is it for some kind of neighbor discovery? I'm
assuming the "single DAO" is only ever sent to the Root node using its
routable address.

#2.
In non-storing mode, where does a node get the Root's routable address?
In past interops it's been assumed to come from the DODAGID, but this is
not explicitly stated in the RPL draft.

#3.
In non-storing mode, a node needs to add the routable address of its
parent to the Transit Information Option. Again, it's been assumed that
the Prefix Information Option from a parent would contain it's routable
address. It would be helpful if the RPL draft was more explicit about this.

#4.
To be more consistent with DIO messages, can the SenderRank (in the the
RPL Hop-by-Hop option) be changed to the raw rank value and not
DAGRank(rank)?

Dario