[Roll] [Gen-art] review: draft-ietf-roll-admin-local-policy-02

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Mon, 15 December 2014 22:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 17:59:36 -0500
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: gen-art@ietf.org, maria.ines.robles@ericsson.com, IETF discussion list <ietf@ietf.org>
Cc: roll@ietf.org, "A. Jean Mahoney" <mahoney@nostrum.com>
Subject: [Roll] [Gen-art] review: draft-ietf-roll-admin-local-policy-02

I am the assigned Gen-ART reviewer for this draft. For background on
Gen-ART, please see the FAQ at

you may receive.

Document: draft-ietf-roll-admin-local-policy-02
     MPL forwarder policy for multicast with admin-local scope
Reviewer: Joel M. Halpern
Review Date: 15-December-2014
IETF LC End Date: 24-December-2014
IESG Telechat date: N/A

Major issues:
     There seems to be a disconnect between the notion of
administratively configured and the behavior described in this draft for
admin-local multicast scope.  As far as I can tell, the forwarding
behavior described here has no mechanism for administratively
configuring the administrative boundary.  The only knob that is used is
PROACTIVE_FORWARDING, which is used for intra-realm multicast
forwarding.  Thus, if you have a roll multicast router with two
interfaces in one realm and two interfaces in another realm, in order to
provide realm multicast services for each realm, this router according
to this draft will always forward admin-local multicast messages between
the two realms.  That does not seem to me to match the requirement for
administrative configuration of the admin-local scope.

Minor issues:
     I believe that MPL In the title should be expanded.  It should also
be expanded upon first use within the document.

Nits/editorial comments: