Re: [Roll] WG Review: Recharter of Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks (roll)

Thomas Heide Clausen <ietf@thomasclausen.org> Tue, 10 March 2009 12:17 UTC

From: Thomas Heide Clausen <ietf@thomasclausen.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:17:51 +0100
To: iesg@ietf.org
Cc: roll@ietf.org, "David E. Culler" <culler@eecs.berkeley.edu>
Subject: Re: [Roll] WG Review: Recharter of Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks (roll)

Dear All,

I am sure that we all want to see the roll work progress in a
constructive and conductive way, and so hereby my remarks to the
proposed charter.
I feel that there are a couple of things which require readjustment
in the charter, before it will be useful to the IETF and to the roll
working group. I strongly urge that the working group rechartering
takes the below into consideration.

(i)	Traffic characteristics and delivery semantics

	The proposed charter reads:

			Typical traffic patterns are not simply unicast flows (e.g. in some
			cases  most if not all traffic can be point to multipoint).

	Comments:

	a)	It is not clear what the exact semantics of "point-to-multipoint"
is. On the
		roll@ietf.org list, it was made clear that it was "not multicast"
as the
		destination-set for a transmission was not to be determined by the
		destinations (e.g. through subscribing to a multicast group) but
rather
		by the source.

	b)	It is not clear by which means the source is to make this
determination.
		I can see a number of possibilities, which entail different design
		constraint on protocol(s) for this space:

			o	the source has a-priori knowledge as to the destination set?
			o	an orthogonal protocol exists which can supply this
				knowledge as to the destination set?
			o	the destination-set is determined based on a service
				discovery mapping (e.g. "Send this to all gateways")?

	c)	If an orthogonal protocol exists, it should be referenced, if the WG
		intends to develop a "service discovery protocol" it should likewise
		be listed explicitly.

	d)	This "point to multipoint" delivery semantics seems a departure from
		classic unicast and multicast. Note, I am not suggesting that it is
not
		of relevance and necessitating further reflections, simply
observing that
		this is not a usual delivery semantics for IP networks.

	e)	The "point-to-multipoint" characteristics is brought forward
		as an important factor in ROLL networks, and is not a "classic"
		data delivery model for IP -- yet:

			o	the work items do not include definition of this "roll-cast"
				delivery semantics, including the impact this would have
				in an IP network (e.g. "how would a routing table look?" for
				such "roll-cast";

			o	the work items do not include specification of a protocol
				which accomplishes this "roll-cast".

(ii)	Applicability of existing IETF protocols

	The proposed charter reads:

			"These specific properties cause LLNs to have specific routing
			requirements.
			As shown in a protocol survey existing routing protocols (in their
current
			form) such as OSPF, IS-IS, AODV, and OLSR, do not meet these specific
			routing requirements."

	Comments:

	a)	Since the WGLC of this protocol survey document draft-ietf-roll-
protocols-survey
		there have been a large amount of discussion and issues raised,
some of which
		have raised questions regarding if indeed the above conclusion can
be drawn
		based on this document.

		I am not taking a position on if the conclusion is justified or not
in this email,
		however I note that there were a number of issues and questions
raised on
		this topic on roll@ietf.org, and that it is my impression that
these have not all
		been closed.

	b)	It therefore appears advisable to, before presenting this as a
fundamental
		assumption for the continued work of the roll working group, resolving
		the issues regarding draft-ietf-roll-protocols-survey.

(iii)	Protocol work

	The proposed charter reads:

			"Protocol work: In light of the application specific routing
			requirements, the Working Group will either specify a
			new protocol and/or will select an existing
			routing protocol (with the appropriate extensions in
			cooperation with the relevant Working Group)."

	Comments:

	a)	The working group has produced a set of 4 application specific
requirements
		I-Ds,
			-	draft-ietf-roll-urban-routing-reqs
			-	draft-ietf-roll-indus-routing-reqs
			-	draft-ietf-roll-home-routing-reqs
			-	draft-ietf-roll-building-routing-reqs

		These are relatively diverse and verbose.

	b)	The current and proposed charter does not stipulate if one or
multiple (up to 4?)
		distinct protocols are to be developed for routing in each of these
application
		specific scenarios.

	c)	Conversely, the current and proposed charter does not include
among the work
		items to identify and extract, from these application specific
scenario descriptions,
		a common set of requirements that will guide the protocol design.

	d)	On the same token, protocol design is often a matter of making
acceptable
		trade-offs. For example, routing protocols often trade off the
overhead of control
		traffic, state necessary for representing the network topology and
computational
		power for calculating routing paths, for the benefit of providing
shortest-paths for
		data traffic.

		The protocol survey document  draft-ietf-roll-protocols-survey, as
well as the four
		application specific requirements documents listed above, does not
make it clear
		what acceptable trade-offs are for ROLL networks, and so it is
difficult to extract
		what proposed protocols make the right or the wrong trade-offs.

(iv)	Timeline and milestones

	The proposed charter has as its final milestone for the protocol to
be developed:

				Feb 2010   Submit the ROLL routing protocol specification to the
IESG as
				Proposed Standard.

	a)	I realize that milestones first and foremost are a contract
between the ADs and the
		WG; still I feel that as such may be used to set the pace for the
working group, and
		so I make a couple of comments hereon.

	b)	Considering the amount of work to be undertaken, the diverse
application scenario,
		and the fact that at present only a single an recently submitted
protocol proposal (-00
		individual submission) exists, less than a year for a protocol to
be proposed, tested,
		understood well enough and widely enough to reach consensus and
developed to
		the point of attaining the maturity of a proposed standard is, at
best, very very optimistic.

	c)	I note that Dave Ward, as AD for roll, said on the roll@ietf.org
mailing list as recent as
		February 3:

			``I expect "wild swings" of the design pattern of the protocol
during the first year
			of the design effort. I attempted to make this clear at the mic in
Minneapolis that
			the current trajectory is very complex problem domain that hasn't
born a lot of fruit
			but, that in the design phase reducing the complexity must occur. ''

		I find myself to be in agreement with this statement: I would
expect the first year
		to be an exercise in narrowing down the complexity and evaluate
potentially
		many different proposals and approaches at developing a protocol
(set) for the roll
		problem space, and that protocol maturity would follow once these
"wild swings" had
		dampened.

Hope this helps,

Thomas