Re: Internet Multicast Documentation, Oversight, and Coordination (IMDOC)?

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@laptoy770.fictitious.org> Thu, 10 July 2003 19:20 UTC

To: David Meyer <dmm@1-4-5.net>
cc: mboned@network-services.uoregon.edu, wg-multicast@internet2.edu, mtp@shepfarm.com, routing-discussion@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Internet Multicast Documentation, Oversight, and Coordination (IMDOC)?
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@laptoy770.fictitious.org>
Sender: routing-discussion-admin@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:19:31 -0400

In message <20030710075612.A17872@1-4-5.net>, David Meyer writes:

> 	Here's something I've been discussing with the ADs
> 	(and hoping to learn the lessons of the MADDOGs
> 	"experience").
>
> 	I put it on the mboned agenda, so we can also discuss this
> 	there. As always, comments greatly appreciated.
>
> 	Dave

Dave,

I think you've got a great list of multicast issues and mboned would
be a good place to continue with this.  My first reaction was that
this may be too complete a list and you should concentrate on the
subset of the items that are deemed most important to or considered
barriers to further multicast deployment.

On the original topic of multicast deployment, there were some
assertions that there is financial disincentives for a tier-1 to
deploy multicast.  I have a few comments on that.  First, if multicast
is not offerred and it happens anyway through unicast replication,
then adding multicast does remove a burden from the core.  If
replication is distributed anyway and not laid out according to
topology (p2p stuff, for example), then the savings is greater.  OTOH
if some sort of service is essentially broadcast as multiple unicast
and is huge in volume, lack of multicast provides a visible revenue
source for the provider, the fat pipe to the source.  It was this
(possibly flawed) logic that has motivated some commercial multicast
service where only select participants could be senders and charges
for this priviledge were quite high (high enough in the one case I
have in mind that service penetration was minimal).  Somewhere in the
middle is the multiparty conference, with more than two or three but
no more than a dozen or so participants.  Unicast replication at a
single site can be viable for a small number of satelite sites, but
for larger conferences can become infeasible.  It is these many
smaller scale multicast groups that it would be good to provide on the
same flat rate basis as today's unicast, while avoiding carrying large
scale broadcasts for free.

The topic of counting leaf nodes came up.  For a tier-1 provider, it
is sufficient and perhaps more relevant to know only the number of
exit points from that provider that a sender is reaching.  How much
branching occurs beyond the tier-1 provider is inconsequential to the
tier-1 provider.  The good news is that collection this information is
something that can be confined to the single provider if protocol
support existed to do so.  From the provider's business standpoint, it
may be sufficient to limit bandwidth and this bounds (number of exit
points to the provider) for lower service levels including any default
(comes without charge or a fixed extra) flat rate service and offer a
higher service level in which the sender bandwidth and exit point
count limits are set higher.  This would allow flat rate low usage
multicast such as small conferencing but still provide the means to
generate revenues appropriate to higher bandwidth and wider spread
multicast, such as VOD.

Curtis