RE: Differentiated Routing, not only plain rambo-SPF

"Naidu, Venkata" <Venkata.Naidu@marconi.com> Mon, 05 August 2002 19:44 UTC

From: "Naidu, Venkata" <Venkata.Naidu@marconi.com>
To: "'Ayyasamy, Senthilkumar (UMKC-Student)'" <saq66@umkc.edu>, Hummel Heinrich <Heinrich.Hummel@icn.siemens.de>
Cc: jnc@ginger.lcs.mit.edu, fred@cisco.com, irtf-rr@puck.nether.net, routing-discussion@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Differentiated Routing, not only plain rambo-SPF
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 15:33:15 -0400
Sender: routing-discussion-admin@ietf.org

Senthil,

-> > There is no difference between MPLS-TE and
-> DiffServ-aware-MPLS-> TE? In other
-> > words, are you saying that Differv-aware-MPLS-TE
-> > is notgoing solve ANY problem that MPLS-TE alone couldn't
-> > solve ?
-> I was just talking about diffserv aware MPLS TE which is
-> more related to
-> the context of discussion. The authors of diffserv MPLS TE
-> draft discusses scalability problems.

  Yes! I am also talking about DiffServ-aware-MPLS-TE.
  In the draft-ietf-tewg-diff-te-reqts-05.txt authors
  clearly mentioned about problem statement and how we
  can benefit from DiffServ-aware-MPLS-TE (even if there
  are some scalability issues). Effectively, authors
  are trying to solve SOME problem - then how can
  you can say that DiffServ-aware-MPLS-TE (aka DiffRouting)
  is not going to solve ANY problem.

  Scalability issues in TOS Routing are different
  from scalability issues in DiffRouting (if you consider
  TOS routing is applicable in traditional hop-by-hop
  routing case and DiffRouting is applicable in todays
  source routing cases).

  Finally, let me conclude what I agree and disagree
  with you.

  What I agree:
  - None of these approaches [traditional TOS-Routing or
    DiffRouting (DiffServ-aware-MPLS-TE)] really solve
    end-to-end QoS/Performance. I already expressed this
    concern to Fred Baker (which he concluded that as
    an open ended question) - which is fine!
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/routing-discussion/current/
msg00060.html

  - None of the above approaches are complete. They have
    some common and some different issues - for example
    scalability etc etc

  What I don't agree (my view):
  - Just because a solution has scalability issues doesn't
    mean that that solution is not going to solve ANY
    problem.

  - Diffserv-aware-MPLS-TE is trying to solve different problems
    which we couldn't solve with traditional routing approaches
    *easily* in the past.

  - We are trying to solve (we will solve) those scalability
    issues in source routing (using hierarchical TE etc etc)
    in future.

  Do you agree? If not let me know - let us discuss :)

  If you still feel that DiffRouting is not going to solve
  ANY problem then I will ask authors of
  draft-ietf-tewg-diff-te-reqts-05.txt (for clarification).

  Finally, you didn't tell me in what other approaches
  we can solve the same issues that the DiffServ-TE is
  trying to solve (with out letting control plane know,
  with out CSPF, with out connection-oriented MPLS etc etc).

--
Venkata