Re: [RPSEC] Threats Draft Issue 3: Section 4.5 Underclaiming

Russ White <ruwhite@cisco.com> Tue, 12 August 2003 10:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 06:57:14 -0400
From: Russ White <ruwhite@cisco.com>
To: Eric Gray <ewgray@graiymage.com>
cc: Abbie Barbir <abbieb@nortelnetworks.com>, Routing Protocols Security Working Group <rpsec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [RPSEC] Threats Draft Issue 3: Section 4.5 Underclaiming
Sender: rpsec-admin@ietf.org

Is that true? With RIP, at least, you can force underclaiming by just being
on the wire, and having direct control of the network hardware, I'd guess.
Just collide with anything that comes out looking like a RIP update, no?
That would cause your peers to think you couldn't reach anything.

Of course, the rest of the routing protocols have reliable delivery, so
this isn't theorectically possible.

On the other side of the issue, if we are going to state that any attack
which can only be accomplished through some other attack is really only the
"lower level" attack, then we should probably scrub about half of this doc
out, right?

Again, it comes down to where you draw the line, I think (?).

:-)

Russ