Re: [RRG] Small comment on draft-jen-apt-00.txt

Lixia Zhang <lixia@CS.UCLA.EDU> Fri, 30 November 2007 09:29 UTC

From: Lixia Zhang <lixia@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: [RRG] Small comment on draft-jen-apt-00.txt
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:29:57 -0800
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, rrg <rrg@psg.com>

On Oct 15, 2007, at 9:10 AM, Michael R Meisel wrote:

>>> APT will be invisible to end users. This means that it should not
>>> have any effect on any transport-layer protocol.
>> But SCTP doesn't *want* that invisibility, because it explicitly
>> chooses
>> to change to an alternative address in order to use an alternative
>> path.
>> How do you allow SCTP to do its job?

my apology for this belated comment, but a clarification might be
worthwhile even though it is late.  Michael's comment below is
exactly right:

- a SCTP node can have multiple IP addresses only when it has
   multiple interfaces (physical or virtual).

- i.e. it is the host-multihoming that allows a SCTP node
   to "explicitly chooses to change to an alternative address".

- A SCTP node, as far as I understand (as co-author of the first SCTP
spec), does not have a power to choose alternative paths out of
*site* multihoming--which is what we are talking about here--if those
paths are not reflected in the node's choice of its IP addresses.