Re: [rrg] Fwd: Sustaining the Internet with hyperbolic mapping

Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi> Fri, 10 September 2010 23:29 UTC

Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 02:29:27 +0300
From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>
Sender: decoy@kapsi.fi
To: Dmitri Krioukov <dima@caida.org>
Cc: 'IRTF Routing RG' <rrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [rrg] Fwd: Sustaining the Internet with hyperbolic mapping

On 2010-09-09, Dmitri Krioukov wrote:

> marshall, thanks for posting it here. i also thinks it's relevant :)

Thanks from me too, and it's certainly relevant. Still, it might not be
as good an idea as it sells itself as.

Geometric routing ideas have been around for quite a while now. They
certainly do this sort of thing within manets right now, because of the
spatial nature of a cloud of terminals/sensors. So in certain ways the
idea works well indeed.

I'd be the first to say that geometric routing is a swell and elegant
idea. Yet, it tends to have some inherent problems in the wired setting
where a) the topology and the geometry of the network isn't as static as
a cloud of 3D sensors would see, b) where we have to have static contact
points like DNS fully available at more or less fixed destination
addresses all of the time, to map from points of interest to
topological/geometrical addresses/locations, c) any static mapping like
the one proposed in the paper could *severely* undercut routing
efficiency as soon as someboby built a new undersea cable, which of
course severely changes the routing landscape in one fell swoop, and d)
when we then probably would go with an adaptive routing protocol, there
is a serious problem with asymmetric paths. That final problem doesn't
plague just Euclidean distance measures, but all of the metric ones as
well, including the hyperbolic.

As regards an adaptive geometric routing protocol, IRTF's ALTO group has
charted this stuff quite extensively already in the context of routing
within overlay networks. I suggest everybody look into that body if they
haven't already, if interested in geometric routing.

In my opinion, this particular article is a nice touch onto how best
parametrize network distance. Based on the article and the references, a
hyperbolic space might well provide us with a better parametrization of
distance in a scale-free network within the geometric routing paradigm.
But it won't solve the more fundamental problems which have stopped us
from adopting geometric routing in the past.

I'd say this body of work is a building block for further research, more
than the showstopper it'd like us to see itself as.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2