Re: [rrg] ILNP Critique

"Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com> Mon, 18 January 2010 14:08 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 09:08:39 -0500
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <jmh@joelhalpern.com>
To: Lixia Zhang <lixia@cs.ucla.edu>
Cc: RRG <rrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [rrg] ILNP Critique

It seems pretty obvious that you handle DNS addresses just the way you
do today.  You configure the client (either directly, or via DHCP, or
...) with the I/L pairs of the DNS servers.  Since DNS transactions are
short, the client simply uses each one as a server individually, and
does not try any address agility or other fancy techniques.

Yes, this should be written down.  But it is not hard, nor complicated,
and it certainly doesn't lead to recursion.

It does mean that, just as today, if the DNS server one is using gets
renumbered, the configuration information has to get changed.  Well, it
is pretty hard not to need that anyway.  For any mapping system, the
mapping data requester has to avoid using the mapping system to find the
mapping system.

Yours,
Joel

PS: If you and Tony want to relax the 500 word limit, I am happy to add
a small discussion of the need for more clarity on this issue.  But
given the word limit, I felt I needed to focus on things that had more
impact.