RE: [RRG] thoughts on the design space 1: the space

"Flinck, Hannu (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannu.flinck@nsn.com> Mon, 28 July 2008 09:56 UTC

Subject: RE: [RRG] thoughts on the design space 1: the space
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:56:51 +0300
From: "Flinck, Hannu (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannu.flinck@nsn.com>
To: rrg <rrg@psg.com>

Hello Jari and others

Very good summary diagram indeed.

I think that we are still missing something from the high-level design
space though. I do not know how to accurately or even descriptively name
this category of approaches but there is a possibility to build on
aggregation inside the network and between the ASs.

Examples of such approaches that are not visible in the diagram of yours
are for example following

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-li-ispac-00

http://www.caida.org/publications/presentations/2003/internetworking03/a
toms.internetworking03.pdf

The geographic aggregation based solutions discussed on this mailing
list would belong to this category.

All the above proposals share in common the aspect that prefixes are
aggregated and the participating ISPs/ASs need to collaborate to harvest
the benefits.

For the shake of completeness we should also recognize that such
approaches exits.

Best regards
Hannu