Re: [rrg] TARA and voluntary adoption

HeinerHummel@aol.com Wed, 02 December 2009 23:41 UTC

From: HeinerHummel@aol.com
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 18:40:28 -0500
To: rw@firstpr.com.au, rrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [rrg] TARA and voluntary adoption

In einer eMail vom 02.12.2009 00:55:43 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
rw@firstpr.com.au:

Short  version:    Heiner has not given any explanation of  TARA.

I think I presented a lot of details wrt the goal to be accomplished:  get
a well reduced map of the internet's topology so that based on the
destination's (known) geographical coordinates the proper next hop can be
determined even if the node  with these coordinates wouldn't even show up  on this
map.
Sure, there are more details, but knowing them won't help as long as people
 are not willing to give up the old paradigms which is  aggregating
addresses, aggregating nodes, aggregating ASes (right?), i.e.  forming the wrong
hierarchies. Just have a look to some actual LISP  thread.  Or see
draft-zhang-zhang-evolution-02.txt - it contains  suggestions about compressing the FIB
which imho should rather be addressed  to the idr-WG where they should be
welcome unless they are already common  practice. I pointed out that the
postal mail does not do address prefix  aggregation and can easily cope with a
100 000 bigger network of streets. Node  aggregation: PNNI did node
aggregation resulting in hierarchical nodes which  then needed node-internal
topologies ;-(  And isn't ILNP eager to deal with  AS aggregation ?  (I don't know
for sure and I even don't want  to waste time looking at such ideas). I
admit, PNNI has been my background,  but today I know that topology aggregation
is the only right way of doing  aggregation. However, not even the new term
"topology aggregation"   could   stimulate the curiosity of the researchers
of this routing  research group.
When I explained how to hereby enable shortest path forwarding, the
reproach was I would be unaware of policy routing. Did I mention "hierarchy"
(although only the process to collect the data is somehow hierarchical) then,
the stretch argument was raised - though that would indeed be appropriate for
 only all the other hierarchies (PNNI, ISLAY, ILNP,...). Did I use the
words  "eliminating" or "abolishing" the scalability problem, I was told that
only  "reduction" is at stake.

We discuss all kind of identifiers but not which identifiers would be best
for JUST routing. Robin, you yourself boast with not needing an own
namespace  for routing. I would rather see such a namespace which is JUST for
routing.
At last I thought, in view of the mobility topic, that  no  one would
stubbornly stick to mapping  routable GPS-info to  non-routable addresses. But
the reaction is once more silence. Yes, absolute  silence, although we are
going to see millions and billions of mobile  internet-accessible handsets.

All these aspects (and many more which I have come up with) have  been
ignored over the last few years and are still being ignored as if the  task of
the RRG is to block successfully any better and scalable  routing.

 Heiner

Hello Heiner,

Thanks for your response in the "Constraints  due to the need for
widespread voluntary adoption" thread.  Since it  concerns your
proposal, rather than the constraints, I am responding in a new  thread.

You wrote:

> I am accrediting to you your emphazising  that:
>
>  a) incremental deployment cabability is a  MUST

"Incremental deployment" means different things to different  people.
We debated this in the past and I found that for many people,  it
just means that a new system can be introduced without disrupting  the
existing system.

What is needed for voluntary adoption of a  scalable routing solution
goes far beyond this.

http://www.firstpr.com.au/ip/ivip/RRG-2009/constraints/

Constraints 1 to  5 involve end-users of the new system being fully
able to communicate with  users who have not adopted the new system -
in both directions, including  with the non-upgraded user's host
initiating the communication.  This is  a far greater constraint than
what many people understand by the term  "incremental deployment".
Here is one message from that discussion  thread:

http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/rrg/2008/msg00957.html

>  b)  that any higher level architectural objective must be backed by
>   the respective detailed solution.

Indeed!

> ad  a) I completey agree. I do claim this for TARA. By the same token any
>  other competing solution can be deployed incrementally - CONCURRENTLY (
>  so I hesitate to promote the competing solutions :-).

OK, but you need to  describe TARA in a manner which enables people to
understand how it would  work, and how users with non-TARA hosts (if
it involves any host changes) in  non-TARA networks (if TARA involves
changes to end-user or ISP networks) can  communicate with hosts using
TARA.

Your website:

http://www.hummel-research.de/

is of no use to me, or I suspect to anyone  with a detailed interest
in scalable routing.  The total text content  would fit on an A4 page,
but is divided into multiple Flash pages.  You  have never given a
detailed account of TARA on this list as far as I  know.

Please present your work in text, or HTML - and ideally as  an
Internet Draft - if you want me to consider it.

The remainder of  your message contains no explanation of TARA
whatsoever.  If I ask you  to give details of how you are going to
design, build and ride a motorbike  over some mountain tracks, it is
not good enough to respond with a short  story about how mountain
goats navigate their territory.

-  Robin