Re: [Rserpool] security review of enrp, asap, et al

Ran Canetti <canetti@csail.mit.edu> Sun, 22 June 2008 15:37 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:26:01 -0400
From: Ran Canetti <canetti@csail.mit.edu>
To: rserpool@ietf.org
Cc: canetti@watson.ibm.com, secdir@mit.edu, Samuel Weiler <weiler+secdir@watson.org>, canetti@csail.mit.edu
Subject: Re: [Rserpool] security review of enrp, asap, et al
Sender: rserpool-bounces@ietf.org

I have been asked to review the revised versions of these documents (from
May 29). Of the concerns I raised in the original review blow, the second
one was addressed, by requiring authenticated communication. The first concern
(potential abuse of the system by a legitimate-but-savvy user or server)
does not seem to have been addressed. Note that this concern does not seem
to be solvable using standard authentication mechanisms (Such as TLS etc),
since the problem is not an authentication problem. One solution is
proposed in my note below. I'm sure other solutions exist as well.

Also, regarding security threats 1 and 2: I'm not sure how mutual
authentication helps against a malicious ENRP server or a malicious PE.
They can be completely authentic, yet malicious/hacked...

Hope this helps,
Ran