Re: [rtcweb] rtcweb Digest, Vol 7, Issue 16

Stefan Holmer <holmer@google.com> Thu, 08 September 2011 08:12 UTC

Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 10:14:29 +0200
From: Stefan Holmer <holmer@google.com>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] rtcweb Digest, Vol 7, Issue 16

> From: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>
> To: rtcweb@ietf.org
> Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:21:42 -0400
> Subject: Re: [rtcweb] An input for discussing congestion control (Fwd: New
> Version Notification for draft-alvestrand-rtcweb-congestion-00.txt)
> On 9/5/2011 6:09 AM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>
>> There is a congestion control algorithm inside the Google WebRTC codebase
>> that hasn't been documented publicly before, and might be interesting as
>> input when we get around to discussing what congestion control should be
>> mandatory-to-implement in this group.
>>

> Where is this in the webrtc drop?  I looked but didn't see anything hooked
> up to RTPReceiverVideo::**EstimateBandwidth().  There's something in this
> genre for iSAC, though I didn't have time to look closely but it appears to
> be somewhat specialized for iSAC.

Links to the code are available in this discuss-webrtc post.
https://groups.google.com/group/discuss-webrtc/browse_thread/thread/37dcbba7e4697853

>> It's not forwarded as a candidate for what the result should be; I think
>> there can be better solutions (see the "further work" section in this
>> draft).
>>

> Harald et al: this definitely answers my suggestion/request that we make
> congestion control mandatory, and that we target something similar to
> Radvision's NetSense, which this appears to have similar characteristics to.
>
> A few comments:
>
> In 3. (Receiver-side):
>
>   When an over-use is detected the system transitions to the decrease
>   state, where the available bandwidth estimate is decreased to a
>   factor times the currently incoming bit rate.
>
>     A_hat(i) = alpha*R_hat(i)
>
>   alpha is typically chosen to be in the interval [0.8, 0.95].
>

> May I suggest that there's more information available here than a single
> bit of "over-bandwidth".  We have an estimate here how *much* we're
> over-bandwidth, though cross-traffic and other fixed streams (audio) are
> part of that too, so it needs to be used with a grain of salt - but that
> slope is useful information.

You are right about that. I think it all boils down to how long you can
tolerate to wait for the queues to drain.

>   In either case we want to
>   measure the highest incoming rate during the under-use interval:
>
>     R_max = max{R_hat(i)} for i in 1..K
>

>   where K is the number of frames of under-use before returning to the
>   normal state.  R_max is a measure of the actual bandwidth available
>   and is a good guess of what bit rate we should be able to transmit
>   at.  Therefore the available bandwidth will be set to Rmax when we
>   transition from the hold state to the increase state.
>
> This is good, but it might make sense to explain why this is the case (as
> the draft does for other parts); I assume the argument is that if the delay
> is reducing after a bottleneck, then from the router that was buffering to
> us (usually just on the far end of the bottleneck) packets are flowing
> through from there as fast as they can.
>
> In fact, the rate they're getting through *while* you're over-bandwidth is
> actually the best estimate of total bandwidth you're likely to get.  So in
> fact you can estimate it well in all cases except when you're in "increase"
> mode (buffers drained and stable), pretty much.

I agree. Another reason for estimating the total bandwidth while queues are
draining is to get a more recent estimate than if we use the estimate we got
while over-using.

> I would also suggest that the rate to use is R_max * gamma (where gamma <
> 1.0)

Yes, I definitely agree here too, and that is actually what our
implementation does. We should update the draft with that.

> BTW, the description of directions here is confusing; the receiver is
> determining the apparent bandwidth the sender should be using; "we should be
> able to transmit at" is both wrong and confusing (probably should be "the
> sender should be able to transmit at").

I agree.

> Sender-side control:  10% seems rather high.  My experience was more
> aggressive in the face of loss, both in the limit at which it reacts and the
> amount it reduces - over maybe 5% loss I would cut sender bandwidth by 10 or
> 15% on top of whatever the slope told me to do.

Yes, these values can probably be better tuned. The purpose of the send-side
estimator is to be a last way out if the receive-side estimator fails. The
receiver has a better picture of whether the packet losses are a result of
congestion or not, and as an improvement I think it makes sense to
incorporate packet losses into the receive-side estimator (as you mentioned
below).

> Interop -  the receiver could incorporate packet loss into the estimate
> used for TMMBR, which might improve talking to senders who don't follow this
> algorithm.  We should consider how to handle cases that involve interop and
> if and how to detect them; the algorithm may want to be different for those
> cases.

I think interop with endpoints which use other algorithms will work okay in
one way, as long as they handle incoming TMMBR correctly. However, if the
endpoint we're trying to interop with doesn't produce good estimates for
TMMBR (close to the available bandwidth) we will rely only on the send-side
algorithm.