Re: [rtcweb] Does ROAP mandate the on-the-wire format?

Ralph Giles <giles@thaumas.net> Fri, 21 October 2011 16:36 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 09:36:02 -0700
From: Ralph Giles <giles@thaumas.net>
To: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Does ROAP mandate the on-the-wire format?

On 21 October 2011 09:25, Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> wrote:

> I expect that ROAP does NOT mandate the format of the messages
> exchanged on-the-wire, but just the communication between the JS
> custom code and the RTCweb stack in the browser, am I right? say "yes"
> please.

I'm not Cullen, but my understanding is that this is the case.

The terminology is confusing, and I think we've been talking past each
other a lot over the past weeks. I believe the point is that ROAP is
the message format, state machine, and 'protocol' which one
peerconnection object in one browser uses to talk to another
peerconnection object in another browser to set up the direct media
connections.

Because there's more than one browser implementation this needs to be
standardized, and an easy way to think of that requirement is if the
roap messages are passed directly between the user agents without
modification.

Of course, since the format, state machine, etc. are documented, then
of course whatever code is conveying the messages between the user
agents can translate or edit the data, as long as it's a compatible
manipulation.

 -r