Re: [rtcweb] draft on media multiplexing submitted to AVTCORE

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Mon, 04 June 2012 18:42 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 20:42:32 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: "Ejzak, Richard P (Richard)" <richard.ejzak@alcatel-lucent.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] draft on media multiplexing submitted to AVTCORE

Richard,
having scanned your draft:

- I still fundamentally think that the partition of media types into
separate RTP sessions was a design mistake that we should seek to
rectify, not promulgate, and additional complexity like what you propose
for perpetuating the use of "separated" sessions is not helpful. See
draft-alvestrand-rtp-sess-neutral for details.

- When we have parts of the ecosystem that have code that is written on
the assumption that the SSRC space is a 32-bit flat space, I think the
partitioning of that space into subspaces as you propose is likely to
lead to "interesting" bugs. We should reinforce the randomness and
flatness of the SSRC space, not partition it.

- You say "The biggest problem with BUNDLE is that it is
    difficult to partition the RTP streams associated with different
    media lines since this requires filtering on sets of payload type
    values.  RTP subsessions is superior for this purpose since it is
    only necessary to screen for a single value in the first 16 bits".
This assumes that the partitioning associated with different media lines
is a good thing.
I claim that it is not.

If there are no bigger problems than that with BUNDLE, I would prefer to
stick with that approach.