Re: [rtcweb] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-05

Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org> Thu, 31 January 2013 23:19 UTC

From: Colin Perkins <csp@csperkins.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 23:19:25 +0000
To: "Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-rtcweb-overview-05

From a relatively quick re-read of this draft, I tend to agree that it seems premature to last call it now. While the work seems to be along the right lines, there's little benefit in having this draft published before the referenced protocol drafts, and publishing it earlier than those runs that risk that it's obsoleted by later working group decisions. I'd think it better to delay this last call until the group is ready to send this, the use cases and requirements, and the core protocol drafts to the IESG together, as one consistent set of documents.

Also, the statement that the chairs "do acknowledge that some references will be required to be updated before submitting for publication" seems a concern, given that a major point of this draft is to provide a roadmap to other RTCWeb specification documents. It would seem important for this draft to include an up-to-date list of references for the working group to check, to ensure the roadmap is correct, before issuing a last call for review.

Colin