Re: I-D Action: draft-ashesh-bfd-stability-02.txt

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Sun, 03 May 2015 01:57 UTC

Date: Sat, 02 May 2015 18:57:45 -0700
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
To: draft-ashesh-bfd-stability@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: I-D Action: draft-ashesh-bfd-stability-02.txt
Cc: "rtg-bfd@ietf.org" <rtg-bfd@ietf.org>

Hello authors of BFD stability,

the diff says not much has changes since v01 (?!).
Anyway, let me provide some feedback :-)

"Sequence Number"

- what happens when the counter wraps? Are you okay to start at zero again -
but zero has a special meaning. Wrapping back to "1"?  The draft should
define what comes after 2^32 - 1.

- would is make sense to have the mechanism always running, including
Down/Init packets? The Down-Init-Up can happen rapidly, what about deugging
packet loss during this sequence?

"Security Consideration"

- I don't think that saying "well, it's either us or crypto-authentication"
is a good statement for IETF. Especially with the effort to make
authentication more realistic for BFD (like draft-mahesh-bfd-authentication)
it's not forward-looking. You could at least outline how every existing
authentication could be "cloned" to have the new fields you introduce, to
allow for both packet loss counting and authentication.

Kevin asked in his email:

> 2) Can you specify that these features will be optional for an
implementation
> and some method should be provided to turn this capability off if needed

I support this idea. There are implementations that drop BFD packets with the
A bit set (as no authentication is supported in the implementation). I'm also
not sure how quickly hardware-based BFD implementations can be upgraded. So
for backward compatibility it would be good to be able to turn it off.

Regards, Marc