Re: The "version" topic (was: Reserved discriminators?)

Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de> Mon, 27 May 2013 07:02 UTC

Subject: Re: The "version" topic (was: Reserved discriminators?)
From: Marc Binderberger <marc@sniff.de>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 09:02:44 +0200
To: "Bhatia, Manav (Manav)" <manav.bhatia@alcatel-lucent.com>
Cc: "Jeff Haas (jhaas@juniper.net)" <jhaas@juniper.net>, Marc Binderberger <mbinderb@cisco.com>, rtg-bfd@ietf.org

Hello Manav,

all fine and good - but I really don't understand this avoidance of a version change while we start looking for "ways to extend" that all have the one or other limit. What is the problem of thinking this straight forward: you have a change - forget "substantial" - or even a re-interpretation in the header, then it _is_ a new version.

Programming-wise this is clean, you have a well-defined indicator that this packet needs a different treatment. Nothing to conclude, not depending on IP header length - BFD per se is not IP related - and the right place is really the BFD header itself when your idea is for the many BFD usages (IP, IP-less).

The "backwards compatible" header I put in my last email was just the very few first fields. The rest may look very different. Even when the rest of the header would have the same size of an v1 header but I interpret them differently, then that's not v1 anymore.

Regards, Marc