RE: document layout for singlehop, multihop and generic

richard.spencer@bt.com Wed, 26 October 2005 16:58 UTC

From: richard.spencer@bt.com
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:57:47 +0100
To: parberg@redback.com, dward@cisco.com, pekkas@netcore.fi, rtg-bfd@ietf.org, jhaas@nexthop.com
Subject: RE: document layout for singlehop, multihop and generic
Sender: rtg-bfd-bounces@ietf.org

Peter,

I fail to see how using BFD to detect component link failures in a link-group will be useful, perhaps you can provide more details on your proposal?

If an individual link fails then the traffic using the failed link should be switched over to one of the other links in the link-group, i.e. as long as at least one link in the link-group is up and has enough bandwidth available, no packets should be dropped (including BFD over UDP packets). For distributed BFD implementations where BFD packets are generated/processed on a per line card basis, it might be possible to check that a BFD packet for a particular session is received via the correct link. However, depending on the system architecture, checking which link a BFD packet is received on may be complex/costly if not impossible for implementations that use a centralised CPU for BFD packet generation/processing. This restricts the applicability of your proposal to either (i) using BFD to detect link failures as a backup measure in case the 802.3ad component link failure mechanism isn't working, or (ii) providing failure detection faster than the average/maximum 802.3ad link failure detection time.

Regarding (i), if 802.3ad link failure detection isn't working then there is obviously a problem so its quite likely that BFD will also be effected (especially as the BFD session setup and state maintenance will somehow need to be linked to the 802.3ad load balancing policy/algorithm). Regarding (ii), the 802.3ad implementations that I know of use some kind of polling to detect component link failures. Failure detection time is normally between 1-100ms, depending on when the next poll is due when the failure occurs. IMO an average link failure detection time of 50ms is more than fast enough for most if not all applications.

There are also other factors that need to be considered as well such binding both directions to the same component link (particularly when using systems with different 802.3ad load balancing policies/algorithms), and issues caused by intermediate hops between the BFD systems also running 802.3ad.

In general, IMO it is not sensible to use an IP/UDP based protocol to detect component link failures for a link aggregation mechanism that has been purposely designed to be transparent to IP/UDP.

Regards,
Richard