RE: Relationship between BFD model and LIME base model

Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com> Tue, 08 September 2015 02:08 UTC

From: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
To: Mahesh Jethanandani <mjethanandani@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Relationship between BFD model and LIME base model
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 02:08:27 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.138.41.180]
Cc: "Carlos Pignataro (cpignata)" <cpignata@cisco.com>, "Deepak Kumar (dekumar)" <dekumar@cisco.com>, "Ronald P. Bonica" <rbonica@juniper.net>, "yang-coord@ietf.org" <yang-coord@ietf.org>, Alia Atlas <akatlas@gmail.com>, Joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, "rtg-bfd@ietf.org" <rtg-bfd@ietf.org>

Hi, Mahesh:
发件人: Mahesh Jethanandani [mailto:mjethanandani@gmail.com]
发送时间: 2015年9月8日 8:42
收件人: Qin Wu
抄送: Carlos Pignataro (cpignata); Deepak Kumar (dekumar); wangzitao; Ronald P. Bonica; yang-coord@ietf.org; Benoit Claise; Joel jaeggli; Alia Atlas; rtg-bfd@ietf.org

Thanks Qin for the summary. I would add that the last option (support for /bfd and /lime/bfd) should be considered the fourth option.

[Qin]: Yes, I miss it, I think this option would be a good option if we can come to agreement.
if we support
/bfd
/lime/bfd
That means both LIME model and BFD model should be developed as technology independent models or generic YANG models, in addition, BFD can be developed as model extension to LIME base model.
/lime/bfd can also be represented as /lime[technology=’bfd’]

The advantage of this approach is that LIME can still collate all OAM technologies and provide a hierarchy, and it does not require the technologies themselves to have to change their current configuration model.

[Qin]: your understanding on the advantage of this approach is not correct,

1.       LIME base model is not a super model which compose various technology specific OAM model together, LIME model is not device model proposed by draft-rtgyangdt-rtgwg-device-model-00.

2.       LIME base model provides abstract model structure for each OAM technology, Each technology specific OAM  model can extend from LIME base model, but one LIME base model can not be extended to support multiple OAM technologies.

3.       LIME base model will be mapped into each technology specific OAM model when the management system know which OAM technology is used to do the troubleshooting on specific network.

We can still investigate reuse of groupings and data types from option 2.

[Qin]: I am not sure we should follow the example proposed in that discussion, Lada has already clarified root nodes discussion has nothing to do with routing-cfg model,
I would argue as well data nodes discussion is also not applicable to LIME model or OAM model.
If routing-cfg model follows
Routing/isis
Routing/ospf
I think OAM model should also follows
Lime/bfd
Lime/trill
Interface model should also follows
Interface/VLAN-Interface
Interface/Ethernet-Interface

If I was to extrapolate from that example, the lime model could contain something like this:

container technologies {
    list technology {
        key name;
        // information about MD, MA … would go here.
        container data {
            // all oam-technologies supported by lime are mounted here
        }
    }
}

[Qin]: I assume you haven’t had in-depth review of draft-tissa-lime-yang-oam-model-06, LIME base model has technology type to distinct one OAM technology from another.
Since you agree we go with /lime/bfd,
You should also agree we go with /lime/trill
                                                  /lime/nvo3
How  is it possible to support
/lime/[bfd,trill,NVO3]
It contradicts with the assumption you made.

The choice of where to build this hierarchy is now up to the implementor.

You could do this on the device if the interest is to do fault isolation on a device in which case your path would look like

/lime/technologies/technology[name=‘bfd-foo’]/data/bfd/...

[Qin]: If we go with /lime/bfd/, LIME in this path info stand for base model, bfd in this path info stand for model extension to BFD.
bfd has already indicated the OAM technology we are using.

or on the controller if you want to collate faults across a domain, in which case it would look like:

/domains/domain[name=‘bar’]/lime/technologies/technology[name=‘bfd-foo’]/data/bfd/...

I would argue that most operators would be interested in the latter and not just faults on the device.

[Qin]: if we go with /lime/bfd
LIME model has already provide hierarchy for BFD support as follows:
/domains/domain[name=’bar’][technology=’bfd’]/MAs/MEP[name=’LSR1’]/
LIME model has already correlate domain information with faults.

We can discuss all the options in a call. I am at IEEE meeting this week, but we can meet next week if need be.