Re: FW: New Version Notification for draft-ashesh-bfd-stability-03.txt

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Mon, 15 June 2015 20:19 UTC

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 16:20:42 -0400
From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
To: Santosh P K <santoshpk@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: FW: New Version Notification for draft-ashesh-bfd-stability-03.txt
Cc: "rtg-bfd@ietf.org" <rtg-bfd@ietf.org>

Santosh,

Thanks for the update.  A few comments upon my most recent reading of the
draft:

- Please consider starting the auth-key-id at 1 rather than 0 and leave 0
  reserved.
- You don't document the sender timestamp format.  :-)

Going back to prior discussion from the Working Group, you probably require
more clarification as to how you intend to use this mechanism.  Since you
are building upon authentication, choices include some of these and perhaps
others that haven't been raised:

- This is fine for the case where no authentication was intended to be used
  for the session. In this case, state transitions within this BFD session
  are suitable for standard use.
- This is intended only for an adjunct session.  In this case, perhaps you
  want to further document behavior in not taking the session to the Down
  state in order to permit continuous measurement at rate.
- You intend to toggle into and out of this mode?  (I suspect not, it
  complicates key rollover situations which are already a bit weak in our
  RFCs.)

-- Jeff