Re: rtg-dir review: dpapadimitriou, prz: draft-ietf-mpls-oam-requirements-04.txt

dimitri papadimitriou <dpapadimitriou@psg.com> Sun, 10 October 2004 19:04 UTC

Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:57:54 +0200
From: dimitri papadimitriou <dpapadimitriou@psg.com>
To: Alex Zinin <zinin@psg.com>
Cc: rtg-dir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: rtg-dir review: dpapadimitriou, prz: draft-ietf-mpls-oam-requirements-04.txt
Sender: rtg-dir-bounces@ietf.org

hi alex, you will find here below my comments on the above referenced
document 1) Technical and 2) Editorial - see below:

1) Technical
------------

0. Section 3

"This leads to inconsistent and inefficient applicability across the
MPLS architecture, and/or requires significant modifications to
operational procedures and systems in order to provide consistent
and useful OAM functionality."

-> How to ensure that the proposed OAM techniques will not create more
inconsistencies than those apparently occurring with the existing ad hoc
methods/solutions (those that are not currently part of the proposed
framework) - as a matter of fact these techniques are already deployed ?

1. Section 4.1

Distinction between failure and defect is not clearly reflected, it is
therefore difficult to understand the requirement behind detection of a
"broken LSP"

2. Section 4.1

In the sentence "... this function SHOULD be automated and performed
from the origination of that LSP." does not say until which point this
operation has to be performed

3. Section 4.1

The sentence "As an example of a false positive, consider the case where
the MPLS data plane flows through a network node using a different
output line card than the data plane does to each the next neighbor." is
mispelled which understanding of the false positive difficult as per
[LSP-PING] "MPLS echo request are sent along the same data path as other
packets belonging to this FEC. An MPLS echo request also carries
information about the FEC whose MPLS path is being verified.  This echo
request is forwarded just like any other packet belonging to that FEC.
In "ping" mode (basic connectivity check), the packet should reach the
end of the path, at which point it is sent to the control plane of the
egress LSR, which then verifies whether it is indeed an egress for the FEC."

4. Section 4.1

Is there any specific requirement for the return path of unidirectional
LSPs to avoid "false negative" ? as this is not explicitly mentioned as
part of this section

5. Section 4.2

The sentence "... and any mid-point LSR" does not specify what has to be
traced inlight with the above statement "Diagnosis of defects and
isolation of the failed component is best accomplished via a path trace
function which can return the the entire list of LSRs and links used by
a certain LSP (or at least the set of LSRs/links up to the location of
the defect) is required."

6. Section 4.3

Second bullet mentions "externally visible aspects" and then points to
"specific algorithms" - the term "externally visible" should thus refer
to what "external" refers to ?

7. Section 4.4

This section dedicated to "performance measurement" requires more
specific i.e. more formal definition of LSP availability (than "service
is considered to be available")

There is no specific reference to the "one-hop delay" experienced by
labeled packets (that included the switching delay and the transmission
delay) and "queuing/buffering delay" creates variation in the delay
experienced by labeled packets - more accurate definitions could thus be
provided to describe the exact OAM&P mechanism to be supported (example
there are several methods to take the jitter into account)

In the sentence "... so as to accurately reflect the latency ..." what
is the expected measurement accuracy expected as part of the present
requirements ?

8. Section 4.5

The following sentence "The capability to synchronize OAM operations is
desired as to permit consistent measurement of service level
agreements." should be more prescriptive than "is desired" does it mean
optional and this synchronization is not available how it impacts the
overall OAM operations

9. Section 4.5 (Alarm Suppression)

To what the term "device" is referring here ? The relationship between
the reduction of the "emitted notifications" and the "fault
notifications" flowing to the LSP egress is not described ?

10. Section 4.7

This section does not detail what is the object of the failure and the
subject of the recovery ? nor the scope of the requirement - does it
apply on inter-provider basis (ingress and egress belonging to separate
networks)

2) Editorial
------------

0. As the document has less than 15/20 pages a ToC is not required but
if one ToC is included suggestion is made to complete it with sub-sections

1. Section 2.

This section should better be split into a "Terminology" section that
includes conceptual overview of the terms used in the document (some
of them can be more accurately defined as part of the document) and a
"Abbreviation and Acronyms" section

2. Section 2.

The term "head-end LSR" is introduced but the core of the document make
use of the terms "ingress LSR" are these equivalent ? or different ?
-> suggestion is made (if they are equivalent) to use a single
terminology either ingress/egress LSR or head-end/tail-end LSR

3. Section 3.

Spell out acronyms RSVP (isn't RVSP-TE ?) and LDP

4. Section 4.1

The term "path liveliness" has not been defined in Section 2/referenced
The term "LSP problem" has not been defined in Section 2/referenced

5. Section 4.1

Add reference to ICMP-based Ping

6. Section 4.2

Sentence "The tracing capability SHOULD include the ability to trace
recursive paths, such as when nested LSPs are used, or when LSPs enter
and exit traffic-engineered tunnels" is the latter case not covered by
the previous one ?

7. Section 4.3

Is the first bullet (TTL models) meant to address RFC 3443 - in this
case suggestion is made to add this RFC as reference

what the "data/control plane OAM capabilities" means ? this would
clarify the scope of the sentence

8. Section 4.4

suggestion is made to clarify the sentence "measure the qualitative
aspects of OAM probing" and define the term "OAM probing"

9. Section 4.5 numbering appears twice

10. Section 4.6

Spell out AIS acronym and include as part of the "Abbreviation" section

11. Section 4.9

Include DoS acronym as part of the "Abbreviation" section

"control planes" instead of "control plaes"

12. Section 4.10

Include SP acronym as part of the "Abbreviation" section

"information"  instead of "informationr"

"inter-AS" instead of "inter-as"

13. Section 4.10.1

"For example, the LSR might ..." is meant for "For example, the LSR MAY
..." ?

what the etc. stands for that other methods exist or what's described is
only part of the process ?

---