[RTG-DIR] RtgDir review of draft-ietf-isis-layer2-08.txt

mike shand <mshand@cisco.com> Fri, 10 December 2010 14:49 UTC

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 14:50:37 +0000
From: mike shand <mshand@cisco.com>
To: rtg-ads@tools.ietf.org
Cc: rtg-dir@ietf.org, draft-ietf-isis-layer2.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: [RTG-DIR] RtgDir review of draft-ietf-isis-layer2-08.txt

Hello,

I have been selected as the Routing Directorate reviewer for this draft.
The Routing Directorate seeks to review all routing or routing-related
drafts as they pass through IETF last call and IESG review. The purpose
of the review is to provide assistance to the Routing ADs. For more
information about the Routing Directorate, please see
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/directorate/routing.html

Although these comments are primarily for the use of the Routing ADs, it
would be helpful if you could consider them along with any other IETF
Last Call comments that you receive, and strive to resolve them through
discussion or by updating the draft.

Document: draft-ietf-isis-layer2-08.txt
Reviewer: Mike Shand
Review Date: 2010-12-06
IETF LC End Date: 2010-12-14
Intended Status: proposed standard

*Summary:*

I have some minor concerns about this document that I think should be
resolved before publication.

*Comments: *

The document is well written and structured, and generally conforms to
the conventional definition of IS-IS TLVs.

*Major Issues:*

No major issues found.

*Minor Issues:

*
General

For compatibility with the TRILL IS-IS document, perhaps the occurrences
of the phrase
"Must be sent as (or set to) zero on transmission and is ignored on
receipt."
should be replaced by "MUST be sent as zero and ignored on receipt".

In any case, the "must" should always be a "MUST".

2.1.  The MAC-Reachability TLV

Although it is obvious, perhaps it should say that the TLV can be
carried multiple times in an LSP and in multiple LSPs.

6.  References

Should there not be references to the TRILL and 802.1aq IS-IS specific
specs?

*Nits:
*

Abstract

This document specifies the IS-IS extensions necessary to support
    link state routing to any protocols running directly over layer 2.

->link state routing for any ....

*
*