Re: [RTG-DIR] rtg-dir review of draft-cotton-rfc4020bis-01.txt

Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu> Mon, 30 September 2013 03:23 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:23:18 +0800
From: Loa Andersson <loa@pi.nu>
To: adrian@olddog.co.uk
Cc: rtg-dir@ietf.org, rtg-ads@tools.ietf.org, draft-cotton-rfc4020bis.all@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [RTG-DIR] rtg-dir review of draft-cotton-rfc4020bis-01.txt

Adrian,

hello again :) !

On 2013-09-30 03:54, Adrian Farrel wrote:
> Hi again Loa,

>>> There are two things you are saying here.
>>> 1. The "temporary entry" should remain in the registry until explicitly
>>> removed. In fact, this is exactly what happens if the process
>>> described in the document is followed: the entry remains, but
>>> its date shows it has expired. Someone worried about the status
>>> could contact the chairs who would say "ooops I should have
>>> renewed that."
>>
>> Well, yes but I think it would be better to have the date when the
>> entry was included in the registry.
>
> The current draft says (section 3.1):
>
>     6.  IANA makes an allocation from the appropriate registry, marking
>         it as "Temporary", valid for a period of one year from the date
>         of allocation.  The date of first allocation the date of expiry
>         should also be recorded in the registry and made visible to the
>         public.
>
> There is a punctuation typo here we are fixing, but the net is that both dates
> will be recorded: the date of first allocation and the date of next expiry.

Well - I guess I have to explain to implementers that the code has not
gone away just because we are past the expiry date.
> [snip]
>
>>> 2. IANA should poke the chairs: the chairs should not have to track
>>> this.
>>
>> No that is not exactly what I say, what I say is that IANA is allowed to
>> poke the chairs if they find a reason to do it, but it is not required
>> that they do it.
>
> Oh, I see. Well, yes. There is no restriction on IANA sending emails to people.
Understood.

>>   I think the tracking responsibility should
>> really be on the wg chairs, with IANA having the possibility to act
>> as triggers if they see the need.
>
> OK. Well you can raise it as a nice-to-have feature for the tools team to put
> into the tracker.
This was not about the tool for tracking - I still think that we should
say that the responsibility to track early allocations rests with the
wg chairs.

If we need tools for that, so be it.

/Loa

Loa Andersson                        email: loa@mail01.huawei.com
Senior MPLS Expert                          loa@pi.nu
Huawei Technologies (consultant)     phone: +46 739 81 21 64