Submitted ROSA gap analysis and arch drafts WAS RE: [Rosa] New Version Notification for draft-mendes-rtgwg-rosa-use-cases-00.txt

Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@huawei.com> Wed, 28 June 2023 06:53 UTC

From: Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@huawei.com>
To: Joel Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com>, "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <evyncke@cisco.com>, RTGWG <rtgwg@ietf.org>
CC: "rosa@ietf.org" <rosa@ietf.org>
Subject: Submitted ROSA gap analysis and arch drafts WAS RE: [Rosa] New Version Notification for draft-mendes-rtgwg-rosa-use-cases-00.txt
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 06:53:26 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.220.132.183]

My bad about the subject lines, apologies for that and changed to continue this discussion.

The short answer to your (big) question is 'yes, I do see that applications are willing and able to provide such indications'.

But let me tease this apart.

On affinity, there are three questions to answer:
1. do we want/need it?
2. what is the application's role in it?
3. where shall we consider it (in the architecture)?

As for item 1: If we didn't have affinity support, an anycast environment, blissfully unaware of affinity, may make packet-level decisions on steering packets to one of the possibly many choices and, more importantly, may change that choice during the affinity (it is not aware of). One could envision solutions (at app level) that dealt with putting pieces of such 'shredded' transactions together, e.g., within a single DC using some shared data layer of sort, but when thinking about multi-site deployments, I'm at loss how to deal with it. This leads me to conclude that affinity is a problem we should care about.

As for item 2: this goes to your question, i.e., are application willing to provide such indication. I'd argue that they already do: they resolve a name, establish a transport connection, send data/requests, and tear it down. They may resolve again, usually being served with a cached copy or forcing a new resolution, and go again. That's an indication quite common as a pattern in applications to delimit transactions.

As for item 3: as it may come across in the draft, we are arguing that it should be considered in the endpoint since it is the best point in the arch doing the indication (and is already doing it, see item 2). In addition, in our user space socket library prototype for ROSA, the app may also just 'reset' the socket instead of fully closing it, more actively signaling the affinity. Do I see this as additional complexity? Not really, to be honest, since it aligns with how the use of sockets maps onto a relation to a service endpoint, so it's more or less preserving that view at the application, only adding an efficiency shortcut in the aforementioned 'reset' socket option.

One could consider doing this in the network. But firstly, you still need the application indication of sort, otherwise what information would you act on? So you start putting, e.g., transport identifiers of sort, together with client identifiers (e.g., IP address) in some tuples and manage the 'flow' representing the transaction in an edge/network element. We describe this in the gap analysis. First problem is that all packets now need to consider that state and thus need to traverse the same ingress to do so. Second problem, to me, lies in the E2E argument: I prefer little to no network state for something that the endpoint could do. ROSA is meant to show that it goes without, handling the transaction affinity in the endpoints.

But the basis for all is that applications can provide such indications, which I argue they already do in many cases, without causing complexity or too much burden on them. They may do those indications more fine grained, if they desire support for more fine grained decisions, in which case I see applications as being designed for 'ROSA-like' environment - effectively just delimiting their transaction with a socket reset call.

Best,

Dirk