Re: Comments on draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-05.txt: single-hop/multi-hop

Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi> Thu, 14 July 2005 06:14 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:12:59 +0300
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
To: akatlas@alum.mit.edu
Cc: Alex Zinin <zinin@psg.com>, David Meyer <dmm@1-4-5.net>, vijay@umbc.edu, heas@shrubbery.net, rtgwg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: Comments on draft-ietf-rtgwg-rfc3682bis-05.txt: single-hop/multi-hop
Sender: rtgwg-bounces@ietf.org

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005, Alia Atlas wrote:
> Sounds good.  The only point with the MAY for the multi-hop is to
> require that the packets are sent with the TTL=255 even if the
> recipient is multiple hops away and the receiver doesn't support the
> multi-hop.

As I said in the past, I believe all this stuff about TrustRadius
should go in an appendix, so that the main spec could be much simpler
(e.g., related to fragments and text).

Then we could describe "a generalized GTSM" in the appendix.  The
section would describe the differences to:
  - applicability
  - the GTSM rules themselves (instead of checking for "255" ...)
  - security considerations
  - (possibly) fragment processing
  - something else?

What I see now is that we're complicating the main spec with a
generalization that I'm not sure people have implemented or are all
that interested about.  The main spec is IMHO standards track maturity
but the generalization still seems experimental to me.