RE: IETF 111 follow-up on rtgwg-extension-tn-aware-mobility draft

Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com> Wed, 18 August 2021 09:21 UTC

From: Vasilenko Eduard <vasilenko.eduard@huawei.com>
To: "Majumdar, Kausik" <Kausik.Majumdar@commscope.com>, Uma Chunduri <umac.ietf@gmail.com>
CC: RTGWG <rtgwg@ietf.org>, "Dongjie (Jimmy)" <jie.dong@huawei.com>
Subject: RE: IETF 111 follow-up on rtgwg-extension-tn-aware-mobility draft
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:20:56 +0000
References: <BY5PR14MB41455F9CD60EB8243F58AC6FFAF89@BY5PR14MB4145.namprd14.prod.outlook.com> <a69af765d5c7444b9d125675dcd8ce02@huawei.com> <CAF18ct7+zmijrXGFm+JcS7_2J7GXPJGNLcGcz=zqKUPdoqFKDQ@mail.gmail.com> <8bbaa530c8964721847b0a82d4f8a6c8@huawei.com> <CAF18ct5uEXRA5mUu6YOUNmASSLUPqfnx277xswNiEm5iWOFnJQ@mail.gmail.com> <c37b299720154a03ba6222eb165b504d@huawei.com> <BY5PR14MB414526D355D148C8ADB5BE36FAFD9@BY5PR14MB4145.namprd14.prod.outlook.com> <d6b3be8d18b14cf2ab0c38b993fda857@huawei.com> <BY5PR14MB4145A354A03CF90D10EDA0EDFAFE9@BY5PR14MB4145.namprd14.prod.outlook.com>
x-originating-ip: [10.47.198.47]

Hi Kausik,
You do not hear me. Probably, I am telling it in the wrong way.

1.
Choosing what to be used for “Slice ID” (MTNC-ID) is the fundamental decision. 3GPP should agree that it is “UDP port range” and make this recommendation in some TRs.
I am very surprised that Uma and you have deep dive into this topic but do not know who is negotiating this in 3GPP and what is the roadmap?
The whole chain of these drafts would be broken if 3GPP would say “No, Slice would be carried by different field or it would not be carried at all – use stateful filter to catch slice on the 1st PE”.

2.
I have read draft-ietf-dmm-tn-aware-mobility-00
And I am not happy that IPv6 was not accounted for as the possible infrastructure data plane.
Because IPv6 has a lot of functionality packed inside EHs, it would create a big problem to use Slice ID buried so deep into the packet (UDP source port offset could easily cross 128B).
IMHO: it was a bad choice to choose the UDP port as the slice ID just because it is buried so deep in the packet (a huge chain of heads should be parsed before).
It would need to duplicate Slice ID in something that would be close to the packet head. UDP port range would be not useful anyway.

3.
You continue pointing that this decision is made by draft-ietf-dmm-tn-aware-mobility, you just use it as the given. It looks like you push this discussion to the draft that you consider as the “parent”.
You are partially right (but Uma is the 1st in the list of authors draft-ietf-dmm-tn-aware-mobility).
I am asking in the wrong place (should be different WG) and at the wrong time (should be the discussion about draft-ietf-dmm-tn-aware-mobility).
I would shut up here in respect of this draft.