Re: Reconvergence micro-loops: problem and solutions overview

Albert Tian <tian@redback.com> Wed, 29 September 2004 00:32 UTC

Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:55:44 -0700
From: Albert Tian <tian@redback.com>
To: Stewart Bryant <stbryant@cisco.com>
Cc: Alex Zinin <zinin@psg.com>, Don Fedyk <dwfedyk@nortelnetworks.com>, Alia Atlas <aatlas@avici.com>, curtis@faster-light.net, rtgwg@ietf.org, mike shand <mshand@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Reconvergence micro-loops: problem and solutions overview
Sender: rtgwg-bounces@ietf.org

Hi, Stewart,

Stewart Bryant wrote:

> >>- A node instructed to directed forward must do as it is told, even
> >>  if it "knows better" - See para 4.2
> >>

> >So what type of tunnel has a "pop and IP directed forward" already
> >defined for it?  Even putting an IP source route option in there
> >doesn't override the forwarding at A.
> >
> Exactly the vector need to be a vector.
>
> A new tunnel type is not strictly necessary, one obvious mechanism
> is a GRE tunnel with an MPLS Ethertype (0x8847) followed by an MPLS LSE.

If we use MPLS, then why not use a stack of LDP labels as proposed in
draft-tian-mpls-lsp-source-route-01.txt? I went extra length in the draft trying
to avoid the LDP full mesh problem, which now seems to be a non-issue (according
to the feedback I got). Remove the domain wide label part from the draft, just
use a stack of LDP labels to build a source routed repair path seems better than
the mixed GRE/MPLS solution (less overhead, more efficient, no MTU issue,
support multiple hops, support all strict/loose combinations).

Thanks,

Albert