Document Shepherd Review of draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-02

Rob Shakir <rjs@rob.sh> Fri, 12 August 2016 01:39 UTC

From: Rob Shakir <rjs@rob.sh>
Subject: Document Shepherd Review of draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-02
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 19:39:47 -0600
To: draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic.all@ietf.org
Cc: rtgwg@ietf.org

Ahmed, Clarence, Pradosh,

I did a review of draft-ietf-rtgwg-bgp-pic-02 as part of the process of doing a shepherd write-up for this document. I have a number of comments which I want to try and address first.

General:

1) This document feels really difficult to get the concepts from to me. The key intent (in my view) is to describe the way that one can structure a FIB to be able to reduce the number of updates that are required to reconverge. Unfortunately, the extensive use of examples (to me) does not make the core concepts that are being described super-clear. To this end, what I would propose is re-working the overview section. In this section the two “pillars” that are described can be outlined in more detail. For example:

	BGP PIC is based on two FIB design concepts:

	  1. Rather than implementing a forwarding construct each BGP NLRI has
	     a corresponding next-hop property, the FIB is implemented as a series of linked
	     entries, whereby many BGP NLRIs can link to a single next-hop entry (or set of
             next-hop entries).

	  2. Forwarding entries are represented as a chain - which may have multiple
	     levels of hierarchy representing the forwarding dependencies for packets
	     matching that criteria, for example, allowing a BGP NLRI to map to a BGP
	     next-hop which itself maps to an IGP next-hop, which maps to an interface.

	Designing the FIB in this manner allows commonalities between different prefixes
	to be exploited to improve convergence time. Particularly, where a particular
	element is updated (e.g., IGP path to a BGP next-hop), then these changes are
	inherited by the other entries which are linked to the updated element (i.e.,
	all BGP NLRIs which share the BGP next-hop above).

This high-level overview then allows a reader to be able parse *what* is really implemented prior to getting stuck into the detailed examples and walk-throughs. Defining this high-level approach would also help with the definitions section, such that there is some context before trying to understand the definitions.

2) The “Properties” section feels misplaced to me — it seems to be a back reference to the rest of the document, whereas it would feel more natural if it were a description of the benefits of implementing the concepts that are described in the document, and a link to the sections where these are described in more detail.

Section 4 has a similar issue, insofar that it now informs us of how to implement some specifics of the actual forwarding behaviour following a number of examples. I’d propose that the layout of the document should be something more like:

	Intro — why do we need PIC?
	Overview — what is PIC?
		a) FIB layout
		b) FIB operation with PIC
		c) Dealing with limited hierarchy FIBs
	Characteristics of PIC - what does PIC require, what does it not require?
	Examples - demonstrating how PIC deals with various scenarios.
		a) Basic example (as per Figure 2)
			- Operation with iPE link failure
			- Operation with remote link failure in the core
			- Operation with ePE failure
			- Operation with ePE-CE link failure
		b) Optionally have the more complex example here.

3) Use of the phrase “Prefix Independent Convergence”. I understand that this is an established concept, which is widely implemented, however, if we are trying to be more technically robust then I think that we need to work on how this document describes the advantages of the methods that it proposes. In a network that has 1:1 mapping of prefix to next-hop then the mechanisms that are provided do not really mean that convergence is “prefix independent”. A more robust way to describe this (IMHO) is that convergence time is now related to the number of next-hop updates that need to be made, rather than the number of NLRI. So - in the case that we have our 1:1 mapping of prefix to next-hop, then we describe the number of updates we need to make is still # of prefixes == # of next-hops. However, since we expect prefix to next-hop to be N:1 in most cases, then we decouple of total number of *prefix* entries, but we’re still coupled to the number of next-hops. I’d encourage that if we’re going to have this document as output of the RTG WG then we are a little more robust in describing the characteristics of the solution - even if it does not sound quite so marketing-friendly as “prefix independent”.

4) Examples — in the doc, there is quite a lot of text which describes - in words - what the routing table looks like for certain scenarios. It was my feeling reviewing the document that actually adding this wording makes the examples difficult to understand. Could one rather describe the RIB by writing out what the entries would look like, or putting it in the context of each device. It might be worth trying to use some actual documentation prefixes in the examples, rather than the current approach, which creates some confusion as to what kind of information is being represented by the notation used.

For instance, Figure 2 feels more readable to me if written as follows:

           +--------------------------------+
           |                                |
           |                               ePE2 (loopback 192.0.2.1)
           |                                |  \
           |                                |   \
           |                                |    \
          iPE                               |    CE.......VRF "Blue"
           |                                |    /       (VPN-IP1 - 65000:1:2001:DB8:1::/64)
           |                                |   /        (VPN-IP2 - 65000:1:2001:DB8:2::/64)
           |   LDP/Segment-Routing Core     |  /
           |                               ePE1 (loopback 192.0.2.2)
           |                                |
           +--------------------------------+

	iPE’s routing table:

		65000:1:2001:DB8:1::/64
			via ePE1 (192.0.2.1), VPN Label: VPN-L11
			via ePE2 (192.0.2.2), VPN Label:VPN-L21

		65000:1:2001:DB8:2::/64
			via ePE1 (192.0.2.1), VPN Label: VPN-L12
			via ePE2 (192.0.2.2), VPN Label: VPN-L22

		192.0.2.1/32
			via Core, Label: 		IGP-L11
			via Core, Label:		IGP-L12

		192.0.2.2/32
			via Core, Label:		IGP-L21
			via Core, Label:		IGP-L22

Tabulating the routing information then makes it much easier to refer to in the subsequent diagram of the FIB layout.

5) In Section 3.2 - it seems like we go into a lot of detail of quite a complex forwarding topology to explain the idea of how we can flatten entries together in FIB hierarchy. I would propose that some text is added (ideally in the same section as the proposal in 1)  that describes the fundamentals of this section. It also does not seem clear from the text (or the diagrams) what the “0” and “1” in the pathlist and then subsequent flattened pathlist actually represent? Are these next-hop IP addresses, or are they labels, or something different? (I presume that they are next-hop addresses, but this doesn’t seem super-evident).

6) There are some assertions in this document which I think are quite implementation specific:
	- 50msec failure detection of links — one could indicate that this might be a typical time, but nothing in the mechanism that is described in this document guarantees this.
	- “Perspective” - 6.2.1 — I think quite a few things here depend on how the implementation works. I would say that this section would be best moved to an appendix as something that demonstrates the potential advantages based on some example implementation and network topology.

At the moment, this feels like marketing numbers rather than anything that I’d really expect to be in a technical publication from this WG.

Specifics:

1) OutLabel-List: There is a definition here that says that the array can be of “one or more outgoing labels and/or label actions“, there is no provision within this definition that the label can be unlabelled (or a no-op) - but this is clearly implemented and used in a later example. I presume it should be included in this definition.

2) The definition of dependency seems to say that an object X is dependent on object Y if Y can’t be deleted without X not being a dependency. It seems to me like we might want to make this definition less self-referential in the text. Perhaps something akin to:

	One object X is determined to be a dependent of another object Y if a link within
	a specified forwarding chain exists between the two objects.

3) Definition of primary path — the definition here states that the path “can be used all the time”. However, we have cases where the primary BGP path cannot be used because the next-hop is unreachable in the IGP (for example). I think the definition stating that path can be used all the time is not correct, and rather one wants to indicate that the primary path is the first usable path within a path list or similar.

4) Definition of path — the definition here states that the path is the “next hop in a sequence of unique connected nodes”. Is this really what we mean - that a path needs to represent A-B-C-D. This doesn’t seem to tally with the definition (and use) of PathList which is simply the next-hop. Is a more rigorous definition that the a Path is an entry that corresponds to the first hop (i.e., the local device’s next-hop) of a series of nodes that end at the destination prefix?

5) Figure 3: It’s generally unclear to me what this figure is trying to show with some of the arrows. We have VPN-L11 which is (I assume) an ingress LFIB entry, and then VPN-IP1 which is an ingress IP leaf (within a VRF, I presume). What do the arrows from the top to the bottom indicate?

6) “BGP is inherently slow” — this seems to require some subjective view of what ‘slow’ is. Would it not be better to state that the speed of convergence of BGP is limited by the time taken to serially propagate reachability information from the point of failure to the device that must reconverge.

7) “Another more common and widely deployed scenario is L3VPN” — do you want to state that this is another *common* deployment scenario, otherwise, what is this L3VPN deployment more common than?

8) There are some statements that this is “enabled with zero operator intervention” — it is probably enabled by some software upgrade, so I’m not sure that this is quite zero operator intervention - however, given that this is mentioned, do you also need to discuss why this is something that can be done on a per-node basis and what the potential negative impacts could be (if any) of this happening? In general, having new things turn on by default and not being able to test them, or know that they’ve changed is not a good way to ensure that you can resolve faults in a network swiftly and effectively.

9) (nit) Through the “terminology” section - the definitions probably don’t need to start with “it is” - one can simply say “BGP prefix: A prefix p/m…”.

10) (nit) Forwarding Chain is inconsistently capitalised. Where it is capitalised, I expected to be able to find the definition in terminology - I’d suggest making this consistent.

11) In Section 5. there are a number of references to software components of the device that is then referenced throughout this section. It would be useful to define what those software components are - i.e., we have a BGP process which does X, an IGP process which does Y, and then a FIB manager process that does Z.

I appreciate that there are quite a lot of comments here, so happy to discuss this. I’d appreciate seeing some of them addressed before this draft progresses to IESG though.

Thanks!
r.