Re: [Rucus] comments on draft-niccolini-sipping-spam-feedback-00

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Tue, 26 February 2008 11:08 UTC

Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:08:03 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Saverio Niccolini <Saverio.Niccolini@nw.neclab.eu>
Cc: rucus@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Rucus] comments on draft-niccolini-sipping-spam-feedback-00
Sender: rucus-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Saverio,

being wrong twice could be a post-submission deadline syndrome...

Some comments inline:

Saverio Niccolini wrote:
> Hannes,
>

>> You are right that this mechanism does not make a lot of
>> sense if you consider an architecture that uses authorization
>> policies and whitelists in particular.
>>

> Wrong...
> In the case a spammer will get through the "white list and authorization
> policies" framework then you have an additional weapon to just report abuse
> which is automatic and not manual (call my friend and tell him).

Hmmm. Might be.
Certainly not my personal #1 choice.

> Telling it to your proxy could be a way of updating your authorization
> policies (maybe even update your personal black list at the domain)
> and to share info on the caller with the domain (to get to a domain-wide
> reputation system, with all pros and cons)

regarding the updating of the authorization policies: but then this
would be another mechanism for updating policies in additional to the
already standardized and already implemented way of doing it.

>> It makes some sense when you consider these statistical
>> learning techniques that require "good" and "bad" examples to learn.
>>

> Again wrong...
> The feedback can be also linked to "binary" decisions like:
> if I send a bad feedback for a caller "deny him from calling me
> for today" or "next time challenge him with a CAPTCHA"

But this would be another way of modifying policies in addition to XCAP.

>> This is obviously a -00 draft and I believe we should end up
>> with this work is more something along the lines of Peter's work
>>
>> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/error-abuse.html
>> where there is communication between proxies rather than
>> between the end host and the proxy.
>>

> I agree there must be many updates to the draft (proxy to proxy
> communication is one of them) and I will take into account
> the valuable point of Jonathan when submitting the next version.

Ciao
Hannes