Re: [Rum] REMINDER: WGLC ends Monday, Sept 13

"Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net> Tue, 14 September 2021 07:20 UTC

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:11:18 +0200
To: "A. Jean Mahoney" <mahoney@nostrum.com>, rum@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Rum] REMINDER: WGLC ends Monday, Sept 13

> On 13 Sep 2021, at 16:19, A. Jean Mahoney <mahoney@nostrum.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Tossing in my comments on the open issues and review of -07:
>
> On 9/10/21 1:23 PM, Brian Rosen wrote:
>> Thanks for the reminder.
>> I would like to add that the proposed compromise actions on IPv6 (adding the support mandate for the backwards compatibility RFCs)
>
> +1 on this proposal. ([with my sipcore WG co-chair hat on briefly] I'm also okay with a new doc in the sipcore WG regarding this, but I agree with Brian that we don't want to have this document sitting in MISSREF state waiting for that future sipcore doc to hit the RFC Editor Queue).
>

>> and SRTP (adding a requirement to support OSRTP) were very welcome, and I will add them to the document assuming Paul calls consensus on those items.
>
> I'm not a fan of opportunistic security (I have trust issues). If OSRTP [RFC8643] is made a requirement, then the text should talk about how it is there to support transition and the bid-down risk should be discussed in the Security Considerations section. RFC 8643 would also be a downref.
There is no consensus on OSRTP at all. I can’t see any reason why RUM users should not get the same privacy like all WebRTC users get with a mandatory SRTP. The IETF has already made decisions on this and new RFCs needs to focus on protecting the users from mass surveillance.

I strongly think that SIP/TLS and DTLS/SRTP should be mandatory for this work.

/O