Comments on draft-ietf-run-spew-01.txt

Heikkinen Jyrki NRC/Hki <jyrki.heikkinen@research.nokia.com> Thu, 17 July 1997 11:15 UTC

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 12:56:07 +0200
Sender: IETF-RUN <IETF-RUN@mailbag.intel.com>
From: Heikkinen Jyrki NRC/Hki <jyrki.heikkinen@research.nokia.com>
Subject: Comments on draft-ietf-run-spew-01.txt
To: IETF-RUN@mailbag.intel.com

Hi

> 4a. ACK!  I've Been Spammed - Now What?

> Second, send the mail back to the originator objecting to your
> being on the mailing-list.

It would be better to say that the presented guidelines are not
recommended for everyone. For example, some organizations might
have a responsible for replying to spams.

In other words, it is not a good thing to advise everyone to
reply to a spam: when a spam is sent to hundreds of recipients,
some of them will definitely reply, so you do not have to ask
them to.

However, if the spam clearly indicates that the recipient can
unsubscribe from the mailing-list, then, of course, it is wise
to do that.

A few words could be added on black lists available on the Web
that contain names of spamming companies. For example, the
lists may not be reliable.

> 6. Security Considerations

A big problem is the great number hate mail sent to postmasters:
with full mailbox, the "service" they provide becomes
unavailable.

By forging the originator e-mail address, the spammer can act as
someone else, thus causing him troubles, at least a bad name.
Moreover, pretending a representative of some company, the
spammer can cause the company being added to various black lists.

A warning on bulk e-mail/news generators might be appropriate.

Jyrki Heikkinen