Re: [saag] Fate of BFD extended authentication mechanisms

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Thu, 07 July 2016 18:01 UTC

To: saag@ietf.org
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 19:01:05 +0100
Subject: Re: [saag] Fate of BFD extended authentication mechanisms

Folks,

Is there anyone who'll be in Berlin who'd be able to take a few
minutes to chat with Jeff and friends about bfd security?

We're often quite rightly scathing when folks develop protocols
in the IETF that have no or not well designed security and in
this case Jeff is asking for help to try avoid that bad outcome
and hoefully lead to the kind of good outcome that we security
folks keep on saying is what's needed.

If you're willing to meet Jeff and co for a chat/beer/coffee in
Berlin please drop Kathleen or I a line and we'll send the right
set of intros.

In case it helps, I think this could be an interesting enough
challenge - iiuc bfd is trying to amortise crypto costs over a
bunch of messages in the face of pretty tight performance
constraints.

Anyway, we'd really appreciate if if someone could help out here,
Thanks in advance,
S.