Re: [saag] CNN Says: Encryption a growing threat to security

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Tue, 04 August 2015 07:56 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 00:56:50 -0700
To: Yoav Nir <ynir.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: Security Area Advisory Group <saag@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [saag] CNN Says: Encryption a growing threat to security

It is important to read between the lines of these statements, which concern data at rest, not in transit. Encryption of data at rest is simultaneously not widely deployed enough and at the same time, difficult to overcome for law enforcement agencies lacking the funding and sophistication of military and surveillance agencies.

Those agencies, who understand the technology and trade offs much better, have either been silent on the subject, or have alumni who now openly oppose the proposals from
Law enforcement.

We have seen this movie before. It matters little if CNN pretends it is a new release rather than a remake.